Petition to oppose FMCSA speed limiter mandate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bret1984, May 5, 2022.

1. simpatico

simpatico Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2022
    Kansas City
    Really wish those ############# s would keep their noses behind their desks in DC for a change. Morons are completely destroying this industry.

W923, TheLoadOut and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I get exactly what your saying. Out west it's far easier to average 600 plus. Anywhere east of Kansas City, it's going to be difficult to get past 550 or 600, especially if you're driving during the day time. I've done that exact experiment. Speed don't mean as much as people think. I agree with you, efficiency is key. I don't run past 600 miles unless necessary; reason being, I like to run with balance, and if you're run is 550 or less, you know for sure you can make that with the time given. I think load planning plays a bigger role than the speed of the truck. Even if a driver does 700 one day, I guarantee he ain't doing 700 the next, or every day for that matter.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Bret1984

Bret1984 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that speed doesn't compensate for poor planning or excess stops. I've always been able to cover more miles in a faster truck. I've ran a 62mpg limited truck and consistently got over 600 miles running at night and running out my clock. I do much better in a fast truck. The only thing that changes is the speed. It's the same driver running the same way.

5. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    I run 65 mainly because its exhausting to spend 70 hours a week passing other slow trucks and I guess I get fuel savings as well. When I do pass I do it fast by speeding up to the speed limit. Sitting beside another truck passing 1mph faster is dangerous.

Anything less than 70mph would be devastating to me. I'm not going to be one of those guys spending all day in the hammer lane blocking traffic. Just when you think politicians couldn't make this job more miserable...

6. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Same here. I used to never log more than 600 miles before the ELD mandate passed because I was always worried DOT would try to cite me for speeding. Now so much data is out from the ELDs that they prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that 60 mph theory was not really worth much. Goes runners are covering much more than that in 11 hours than the government would ever like to have admitted in the past.

Bret1984 Thanks this.
  7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    So I am not gonna read all of this thread but gonna make one comment I don't think anyone has about the speed limiting. I spec'd my truck to run a certain speed and if I don't run it like that then the government should have to pay to have my truck spec'd to that speed limiter.

Bret1984 and W923 Thank this.
  8. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    If the money is good I do it. But the money has to be worth it. I can drive 700 miles every day for a week strait if I can get in and out of loads fast enough. You need that speed to get that extra load or two during your 70 and the money makes up for the fuel cost if done right.

BoostedTeg, Tug Toy and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That seems to be a difficult concept for people to grasp.

Bret1984, Tug Toy and Siinman Thank this.
  10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    If it so safe to have truck speeds governed then why not just mandate that speed limit and hand out speeding tickets? Why set governor on the trucks? If speed limiting trucks is so safe then why did we ever change from 55mph? Are California highways safer than anywhere else? There still 55mph right? Illinois just recently raised trucks from 60 to 70?

11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I think what needs to happen is that no entity out there can present any change to the truck driving industry whether it be a regulation or law unless they’ve been an over the road truck driver for a minimum of five years. That needs to be number one. No pencil neck sitting behind a desk, no politician, no study group, only those who have ridden the roads for at least five years to be able to present governmental changes to this industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.