Petition to oppose FMCSA speed limiter mandate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bret1984, May 5, 2022.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    This is different than elogs. This is about control. If they can control everybody with speeed limiters then soon it will be they will outlaw trucks that run paper and have no governer. Then it will be,outlaw all diesel trucks. You can only run electric. An o/op and small fleet cant afford that but the megas can.. Thats what they wanna do is push out their competition, its just business. And our freedoms will slowly be pushed away until guys stand up snd do something. The older guys that only have a couple years left until reitrement they dont care because it doeant effect them. But for someone like me all thats going to happen in my career until we do something about it and stand up against it. Because one day swift is going to have 100k robot trucks on the road, along with every other mega company out there. And there wont be a small guy left... Its the death of small business. Slowly but surely that is their plan. Take the blinders off and realize elogs and speed limiters are only the beginning.

Tug Toy, NYStarcar, Siinman and 9 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    Well said Tibbit :)

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You're right. I don't have an idea of what you consider the greater good. I only said that because you say there are other factors to consider other than the greater good, like individual interests. I've answered your questions. There just not answers you necessarily like. I explained myself on my last post about where my stance about the greater good. I'll say it again, my thoughts are the way they are because I tend to think less about myself and more about everyone else around me. Individual rights are important, but I think doing what's best for everyone is far more important. To answer your directly about sacrificing for the greater good, Hmmmmm.....I haven't seen anything I'm unwilling to sacrifice within reason. We are still able to work, and as long as that is available, things will be fine.

5. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The blinders ain't on man. They can't push out small business. The industry won't even survive without small businesses. The megas alone can't handle all of the movement. There are going to be organic changes. Electric trucks will eventually be the norm. Autonomous trucks will eventually be the norm. I don't know if it will be in our lifetime or not, but things advance. We can't hold back the future. Y'all think it's about control and I think it's about safety. The government ain't pushing that narrative on me, that's just my personal opinion. I think it's safer to drive a semi at slower speeds(62 to 65 is where I like to keep my speed). It ain't an indoctrinated thought, that's just where I'm comfortable. I understand where yall are coming from but I also believe that having a cap on a trucks speed ain't necessarily a bad thing.

6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    then we should leave that up to the fleet owner rather than the government... because where you feel comfortable at 62-65 some others can feel comfortable at 80+ out west so why does those guys have to drive 62-65 when the speed limit is 80+ just because one other guy doesnt feel comfortable?.... you say they cant push out small business but thats what the government has been doing for decades. look at all the big corportations that exist in every small town and major city. every small town had their own stores and some still do, but enter walmart and other big retailers, and out went the small town stores.. its been happening for years right in front of our faces, yet most fail to notice or believe in it.. all it takes is a short drive down any small town USA and notice the boarded up buildings and buildings falling down. once were occupied by thriving small business.. usually just down the road is a huge corporation like walmart. or something similar. which tells the whole story...

look at what the government did to small business during the pandemic.. they destroyed them. most had to close permanetly.. even if they sold the same products as walmart or another mega retailer in their area, the small business was forced to close while the mega company was able to stay open.. why is that? its an important question to ask and an important thing to realize... why does small business owners have the highest tax rates? if you would have went back 3 or 4 years ago and told the resturant and other small business owners the government was going to come in and shut all of them down overnight and blame it on a health crisis, but yet the bigger corporations that they directly compete against, and sell the same products as, will be able to stay open. do you think they would believe you if you told them that? probably not. but it happened. that exact scenario happened. and those people went out of business overnight. the government hates small business because its hard to control them... which is what the government is all about, control... nothing more nothing less.. doesnt mattter which side you are on...

so with all that said, what makes you think they cant do that to trucking? it will happen right before our eyes and this is the beginning. the question is will you do anything about it?

7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    New Mexico left lane truck rule vetoed
    In New Mexico, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham took no action on a bill to keep trucks to the right on interstates. As a result, the bill received a pocket veto.

House lawmakers voted 52-14 to send the bill to the governor that called for limiting truck lane use. The Senate approved the bill on a 33-5 vote.

State law already requires all vehicles to stay to the right. Violators face $25 fines. Certain exceptions apply.

Sponsored by Sen. George Munoz, D-Gallup, SB174 sought to set a rule to mandate that large trucks traveling on interstates outside of municipalities to stay in the right-hand lane. Affected roadways are posted at 75 mph for all vehicles.

According to a fiscal note, the change would affect 4,437 miles of intestate in New Mexico.
    Violators would have faced $200 fines.

A provision in the bill allowed truckers to merge left in affected areas when overtaking another vehicle.

Munoz said something needs to be done to address large trucks traveling below the posted speed limit on interstates.

BoostedTeg, Siinman, D.Tibbitt and 5 others Thank this.
  8. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    They've tried to do it for decades like you said.....have they succeeded? Nope. You're right about one thing, I don't disagree that one may be comfy with higher speeds. I've conceded that repeatedly. They have an obligation to look out for every motorist. Not just truckers. Trucks are just a target because of their size and if a truck has an accident at a high rate of speed, the perception is that there is risk for greater devastation. Right wrong or indifferent, people are going to think that. Many small business do go out of business, but if the pandemic was the knockout blow, I tend to believe that they were floundering anyway. So many people start businesses without any capital nowadays. As many small businesses that went under, I'm sure just as many stayed in business and profitable. I cant necessarily prove that on way or the other. Hell larger companies in our industry went under! It aint just small guys. If you have a product/service that's good and/or different, a business will stand the test of time.

9. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    The government has always been about control. They want to take away our freedoms and they want to take away our right of choice. That's what this whole new world order is all about. Why do you think they want to take away our guns? Do you think if they take away our guns, they won't still continue to have guns for the people protecting the president? Or that the military won't have guns? You take away our guns we have no way to defend ourselves against out government....that is control. That is what they want in every aspect. Everyone should have the same thing and live as equals even if you are some worthless POS out on the street doing drugs and committing crimes.....you should still get the same amount of pay as I do even if I'm out here working 70+ hours, you should still get the same amount of land, a home, etc. That is complete and total BS. This whole thing they are trying to do with governing the speed is a form of control too just like @D.Tibbitt stated. It's starts with little things and gets bigger and bigger and further and further. Should they just govern every single vehicle truck and four wheeler and train, etc just at 55? Absolutely not. When I first started driving a regular vehicle I kept asking people what speed to go in the snow. They said there was no set speed. Just whatever you felt was right for the conditions. This made me upset. I thought there had to be a certain safe speed in the snow. Well when I starred driving I realized they were right. There is no right speed. Whatever you feel is safe. Good judgement. There are times when I've pulled over because I felt it was completely unsafe. Other times I've gone 75 in the snow. Others times I've gone 35. All depends on the conditions and good judgement.

10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    we can disagree all day long about this. i appreciate and respect the different perspective you give on most topics on here... but all i know is i will fight like hell for my business and for myself. and fight against more government regulation in this industry. they havent exactly made anything safer with elogs, which was the original intent. was safety. same with this. but yet truck crashes and fatalities have gone up since the mandate of elogs. the next immediate thing is the crash avoidance systems will be mandatory. because of safety. will it improve safety? maybe. we have yet to find out. then it will be speed limiters. because of safety. then something else. because of safety. then we can look back 30 years from now and see how much more dangerous this career is all because they were fighting for safety...err to gain control. thats it. has nothing to do with safety in my opinion. just like shutting down small business in the pandemic was because of a health crisis.. they use scape goats(safety,Pandemic) as an excuse to gain control. thats it... notice, safety is always the common denominator whether its health safety in a pandemic. or physical safety in trucking or other heavily regulated industries, or gun safety, so they can take away your guns for good... because everyone cares about safety.. thats the perfect excuse to make more regulations, until they have full control..

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  11. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    75 in the snow? Man I hope it want any serious accumulation lol. I'm not a 2nd amendment guy by a longshot. I don't carry so I don't have a dog in that fight. I'm puzzled by your line about being able to have guns to protect yourself against the government. That is such a 1776 way of thinking. That whole first portion of your post is very retro. You can't even let the thought cross your mind about opening fire on a government official. That's probably enough to get you locked up lmao. It just seems like every little thing is an infringement on rights. I don't feel any less free because of these regulations. You have to understand, that while you may use good judgment, there are enough people that do not. They'd rather not take the chance. I don't blame them. People don't act right and that's why regs come about.

TooTiredToTalk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.