PGT Trucking, Inc. - Monaca, Pa.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by eighteenwheeler, Sep 15, 2006.

PGT Trucking

1. *

Good Company

69.2%
  2. *

Bad Company

23.1%
  3. *

Good Place to Train

7.7%
  4. *

Run Away NOW!

23.1%
  1. MarineVet32935

MarineVet32935 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Just got preapproved for orientation at PGT. Does anyone have any current information on them? Miles? Predominant routes? Loads? I know they haul a LOT of steel coils from Philly to Laredo, that'd be sweet, as it routes me right by the house and I live a days drive from Philly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sxty9GTO

sxty9GTO Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Corning, NY
    MV, heres a bit of 411 on PGT. I was with them for about 1.5 yrs and if it wasn't for the fact that I absolutly HATE the way the mills run thier loading/schedules, I would go running back to PGT. I ran the wallboard division most of the time, drop, hook and book! As most flatbeders will agree on the waiting lines are sometimes absolutly rediculously L O N G. Im talking hours. As for PGT as a company, GREAT. A little more of an Open door policy would work better, but on a whole it works. Great People, great Hometime, pay is average and trucks don't sit long for repairs. Always had loads before the economy hit the skids, so that might be a little differant now. Hope that info helps you out.

Baack Thanks this.
  4. MarineVet32935

Jan 9, 2009
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Yeah, I've sat in those mill lines for hours, myself. Not fun. Even with an appointment. They won't let you show up, more than 30 minutes before your appointment and talking to the guys coming out and tarping, their appointment times were 2 to 4 hours before. Sucks. But, the nearly 2000 mile length of haul to Laredo makes up for that some.

One thing that impressed me, was the recruiter's first question was, "Will you have a problem staying out, up to a month, for a while?" I really balked at that, as home time is a primary issue. When I asked why, he said, "With the economy the way it is, we can't promise you more than that, until freight picks up." An honest recruiter? Is there such a thing? When I brought up that other recruiters lie and promise the world, he said, "Costs a lot of money to put someone through orientation and on the road, lying about things wastes money."

I told him that it would take some adjustment at home, but knowing it going in, is much better, than finding out, while on the road.

5. MarineVet32935

Jan 9, 2009
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Just got the call from PGT. Everything checked out and they received my medical form, I emailed last night. Their Securement Trainer called yesterday afternoon, to give me a telephone test on securing coils. Guess I did okay on that, I've hauled a lot of coils over the years.

Anyway, everything's a go and I'm scheduled for orientation on Monday. Downside is, it's north of Pittsburg and the only bus they could get me on, leaves Saturday night and arrives Sunday just after noon. Sixteen hours on a bus sucks, big time.

6. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I would be very hesitant about going to Loredo. There just isn't any freight down there. I have hauled loads down to the border (Loredo, Brownsville, and Nogales) and everytime I had to deadhead quite a ways to get a load. Just be warned, you'll probably either sit and wait there or deahead out.

Les2 Thanks this.
  7. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    If you can and they still have it, try to get on the worthington dedicated, thats if there is a worthington anywhere around where you live.

Did you ask them if they have layover pay? The reason I ask is, if you get on that laredo run, which I doubt you will, you'll get stuck sitting for a couple of days!

8. MarineVet32935

Jan 9, 2009
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Yes, they still have the Worthington account, but there's no mill near where I live. They don't pay layover pay, but my plan is to run hard enough that any layover will work to let the log book catch up. I've always run legal, but in these times, I might have to bend that a little. Philly to Laredo is nearly 2000 miles, that's a solid three days. If I'm there a half day early, I couldn't leave until the following day, anyway.

9. pullingtrucker

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Plan on more than a couple of days in Laredo. There was a thread around here somewhere with a o/o with PGT looking to broker a load out of Laredo cause he had been stuck there for almost a week. Best of luck, but just remember that the flatbeds aren't really moving and the pay is down right now.

10. MarineVet32935

Jan 9, 2009
    Travelers Rest, SC
    That's true of all freight, not just flatbed. Of the dozens of companies I talked to, most were in a hiring freeze, I was turned down by a few, for "poor driving record". One ticket in July, 2006, nearly three years old. Two others in the previous two years, for a total of 3 in the last five years. Anyway, I had offers and was scheduled for orientation with PGT, Barr Nunn, US Xpress and Super Service. PGT was the only flatbed company and that's what I'm most familiar and comfortable with and they seem to be the lesser evil of the four.

Pro Drivers just called and I have a 550 mile round trip run this afternoon, that should give me nearly 12 hours at $13/hour. Get home early tomorrow morning, take a short nap, pack and get on the bus for Monaka, PA tomorrow night. I'll arrive up there at 1245 Sunday. At least I'll be able to rest up some before orientation starts on Monday morning.

11. pullingtrucker

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Good luck Wayne and lets know how things are going for ya later on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.