Phone Usage deduction. Personal vs Business separation.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by TallJoe, Feb 23, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    100% or separate personal from business?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Separate. 75% will be good without details

4. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I have a dedicated (just me) Verizon account, as it is the only reliable 4G all states I know of. It costs me about 2K a year. I use it for business; but personal too.What if it splits 60 personal / 40 business (talk time, and data even more)? The rest of family are on a different account with T-Mobile. Tempting to use all of it. But of course my personal calls/data should not count. But how are they gonna know? How am I gonna know, other than go through all the calls the entire year and somehow itemize them. If there is a business office (also including Post office, IRS facilities) they also dial/receive personal calls (no?) and most likely write off the whole phone/internet bills. The accountant does not want to get into interpretation, just wants me to state the cost.

5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Total phone - personal = business. Then Total phone/business = % you can use for the other items on bill.

not hard to do a spreadsheet. if you wish send me a conversation and we can discuss. I do spreadsheets all the time and I kept 14 while I was a company driver.... CYA all the time... for example I even had the time I bumped to dock... and then released from dock.

Keep your phone records... if you run a data plan from your phone then look at that.

Cost of phone and any assy could be added to business.

UsualSuspect and TallJoe Thank this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    For taxation purposes as long as its sounds reasonable then there'll be no questions asked that's why it might pay to keep a log of all your business phone calls that way you've got some proof if the IRS do an audit.

7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    You all seriously separate your personal minutes from your business minutes?

DirtyBrown Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    NO. But I want to know if I should. I mean, I'd rather have my front tooth pulled off than going through my phone bills, marking in yellow personal talk time. I guess it is a tax time so I am going a little paranoid. I need to shake it off.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Do you pay for x amount of minutes or is it unlimited?

10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Unlimited. Data 16 G per month.

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What I would do is take 3 different months and determine the % of business calls versus personal calls. Then avg the 3 months to get a "avg" % and then use that for all your phone bills.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.