Picking my own freight baby! My journey to & of being on Schneider choice, the Adventure & Numbers!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by freightwipper, Jun 1, 2015.

1. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    exactly, a step up is just that. A step up.

kanidana Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I know many company drivers that make 72k (and more) plus great benefits and retirement plans. I didn't go into business to make an employee wage.

4. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I got your point. You're exactly right. I came from a company where as an o/o I was making around 1.25/mile for all miles. When I got to SNI I thought I was in heaven, until that reality starting sinking in. Now that I'm a carrier myself, my eyes are wide open as to what I was running for in the past. Educate yourself. There's big money out here, but you have to work your way up to it. Guys need to remember we all started out making peanuts and on the bottom. Nobody was born in the ivory tower.

5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I will say this much... If you want to learn to self dispatcher self the choice program is just fine for that let you get your feet wet learning how to plan your own self out once you get that down and learn how to manage everything then you have the ability to move on to greener pastures and take a step up to the next level... Exactly what I did

Scott72, hawkjr, rickybobby and 3 others Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I'd also line to add that many confuse net with what they are paid on their settlement.

Let's take a moment and look at what that 72k "take home" actually is.

The employers share of taxes is 7.5% that you now pay. So 72k just became 66.6k.

No more employer health insurance plans. So that's an additional 6 to 12k dollars a year dependong on age and state of residence. Let's call it 9k, right in the middle. So now at 57.6k.

Don't forget you will no longer have workmans comp. At the minimum you will need the poor mans version called occupational accident. That's gonna run 300 a month so 3600 a year. Now at 54k.

Remember your company's 401k with matching 4%? Ya that's a thing of the past. 4 percent of income gone. 4% of 72k is 2880. Unless you plan on dying young that's money right out of your future pocket. 54k just became 51,120.

51k in yearly income. A good driver at even the crappy mega otr companies makes more than that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    But don't you wish you had educated yourself before wasting all those years working hard for substandard pay?

8. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I wasn't referring too you.

9. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    If you truly have seen the inner workings of Schneider then why in the heck would you come over to choice?

You should know how bad we're being ripped off.

I believe your going off what your being told but not what's really happening.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  10. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    We've been running this board for years and your a company hand who buys what they're telling you.

Yes you can make money, yes you can get home but YES you will get screwed also.

11. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    You're working WAY too hard.

That explains why you're working so hard.

That's their business model. They only want company drivers in the choice program because they are already brainwashed into thinking Schneider is great. Schneider had its issues but as soon as they decided to go public it went downhill fast for the o/o.

Good luck getting that after all expenses including taxes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.