Picking my own freight baby! My journey to & of being on Schneider choice, the Adventure & Numbers!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by freightwipper, Jun 1, 2015.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'd like to point out that when the Schneider Chat Room started 9 odd years ago it was mainly guys thinking about getting their own trucks and running the Choice program. There were about 10 guys in all who got trucks.

After 3 years, 8 think only three or four were still being ICs or had moved to getting their own authority.

I think Opus was the last IC (either at SNI or elsewhere) and he is about to get out of the game. Captain Dave got his own numbers and I think 8s still running, but I think he did the company thing for a year or two.

These were/are some well put together guys. Heads screwed on straight with iron in their spines. They went in with a plan, were well capitalized, and showed up to do work. Yet most changed course within a few years.

Owning your own truck can be lucrative, but it's a grind with everyone you meet looking to stick a hand in your pocket. It can be done, but it's not for most people.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    some salesman you are.

scythe08 and JOHNQPUBLIC Thank this.
  4. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Lol that describes nearly 90 percent of the small business out there, but you’re not wrong.

dwells40 and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I've gotten the same feedback in every sales job I've ever had.

6. scot

scot Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Got any more truck you want to sell? I'm thinking about switching over to IC side but will have to wait another month or two since I don't have SFI requirements yet and if I can get a good used truck, maybe I don't have to go through SFI.

7. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I’m done for the year, and in reality I’ve been out since before Thanksgiving. Planned on visiting family on the west coast anyway, but just before my trip my mom went into heart and kidney failure and I ended up staying two weeks. Returned to work for three days before my sister called and said I needed to bet back there.

Long story short, we nearly lost her twice. I’m staying here at her house until January 5th before flying home to take a few days for doctor appointments of my own before starting the year on the 11th.

Still had my best year ever with no truck issues to deal with. But I’m not sure how things will ultimately go with mom, who is 82. At the very least I’ll be taking more time off to return to SoCal for visits. Thinking about at least temporarily relocating to Phoenix too. Oh, and I’m in the midst of a divorce. So 2021 sucked worse for me than 2020.

Wishing you all safe travels, solid profits, and abundant peace in the new year.

Winnyf1, dwells40, JOHNQPUBLIC and 2 others Thank this.
  8. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
  9. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I’m look at the pumpkin to restart my driving career. Does anyone know if there is a dedicated account that hauls to northern Michigan?

10. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I dont know about schneider, but my company is dying to hire drivers in Michigan.

dwells40 and Wickedfire77 Thank this.
  11. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    I have a unique situation, but can you hint who your company is?

Bumper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.