Picking my own freight baby! My journey to & of being on Schneider choice, the Adventure & Numbers!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by freightwipper, Jun 1, 2015.

1. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    helps he was a diesel mechanic first.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If you are running a truck you are responsible for the upkeep, it is very important to learn how it works, why it words, bad signs to look for, and the correct terminology of each part. If not, you will get shafted during repair time.

I was always mechanical, and learned fast and hard. It is not overnight, but study engines and components on your down time. That is part of your business. Every penny you save by knowing what is wrong with your truck is free money in your pocket.

I worked at a Freightliner dealership for a while in the parts dept. Way back then I was shocked at how many so-called mechanics didn't know squat. I have seen bills ran sky high from techs repairing 2-3 different things that didn't need repair before stumbling upon the real problem.

I bought my first OTR truck at 19, and celebrated my 20th birthday halfway across the country with my wife with me. Later that year it gaulded a piston over 300 miles from home. I left it on the emergency lane and hitched a ride home with another driver.

After driving down with my dad and seeing what was wrong, we drove home. I spent the next day rounding up parts and tools, loaded them and my wife in the car, and headed back to the truck. I started pulling the engine down at 10 am. I changed a piston, head, rocker box, re-installed the air compressor I though the sound may be coming from, made a 60 mile round trip for a extra part I didn't have, and at 2 am, 16 hours later, I was in the truck on my way to Houston to deliver the load, and the wife was on her way home.

This was all done on the emergency lane of interstate 85, halfway between LaGrange, Ga and Montgomery, Ala. She held the flashlight for me and handed me tools as I needed them. Saved lots of money and time because I had watched and slightly helped a mechanic rebuild an engine like mine, plus asked a lot of questions.

4. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    That's pretty impressive, but you don't have a prayer of figuring out most issues with these emissions engines. Heck even the shops struggle. Sure, you can learn what you can learn, but you're still at the mercy of sensors and dpf garbage. Not too mention needing special tools and a pit for access. Just not as easy as a couple decades ago.

5. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    So you ran a truck illegal, without a license for two years, and got away with it?

Impressive.

6. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    ...if he was talking long enough back, it wasn't illegal. He better be an real old timer, though.

7. Cledus Snow

Cledus Snow Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Really? That's what you came away with after reading his post?

You seem like a good dude, why are you busting balls?

centralmi Thanks this.
  8. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Because I've heard the same story probably a thousand times told by a thousand different drivers. The BS gets old.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  9. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I really think there are becoming 2 kinds of owner operators out here. The 1st is the guy that is able to fix anything or at least have some advance knowledge of how it should be fixed. There is no doubt these rigs of today are expensive to own and expensive to fix. Down time is clearly at a cost of 500.00 per day plus in lost revenue.

2nd Owner Operator is the person with some moxie that is internet smart, knows to the penny what it cost to operate the rig and family bills. Understands the freight lanes, knows how to interact with shippers, there customers, and understands who could be a customer and why.

I applaud the guy for fixing the truck on the ramp its impressive and it was a critical skill set need back in the day. Those days have change....and changed alot.

I also feel these dealerships are horrid, they claim rapid diagnosis blah blah....they need to go to a high end car dealership to see how things are done...and done right. I waited 38 hours at Freightliner of Phoenix to fix an air leak on my drivers seat when they told me it would be 2 hours. Then the tools forgot to get the seats serial number for warranty when they called me to give it to them....I said 2 hours.....I never gave it to them.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

10. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Not to mention, at age 19 he had enough money or credit to buy a truck. Possible yes, likely.... not.

11. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Does the SNI terminal in Dallas have a shop?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.