Picking my own freight baby! My journey to & of being on Schneider choice, the Adventure & Numbers!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by freightwipper, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Yup. I worked for Conway doing line haul. I got home every day...... just long enough to get some sleep and go back. I worked nightly so when the weekend came I was all upside down. Hated it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    I'd rather make 60k and be home daily as opposed to 60k and be gone for a month. Just me though. I've got a good life as it is.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  4. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Being local i admit that sometime the beat is crazy, but having all week end off is priceless!

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Crusty Pogosticker!!

Jan 25, 2012
    Cartoon Network
    Very good thread. Don't mean to be hijackin' it, but since you've been talking about good regions for freight vs bad regions, I haven't seen any mention of the coastal Carolina's area. Maybe I missed it. If so I'm sorry. What's it look like between Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC ? Also I know there's several threads on the IC Choice program so it's surely been covered but is there a section of the companies website that is full of the details of the program ? Thanks a lot and thanks for this thread and all the other ones about this IC Choice deal.

6. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Everybody is different.. doing makes you happy is most important.
    Balancing money vs lifestyle also.

Me personally on choice I generally like to stay out 3-5 weeks and rake in the cash and then take a lot of time off and enjoy it.
    I have pondered working monday through friday and taking weekends off wherever I land also just to do something different. Enterprise rents cars for $10 a day friday to monday and they pick you u up and drop you off.
    I've done that endless times since I became a driver.
    Being home isn't a big deal for me.

7. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    First month of this thread has ended.

Looking forward to this months adventures.

Good job.

8. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Rates are fine in the Carolina's.. I've been there a few times but not often.
    Generally the Midwest, Northeast and Southeast you can do well. Not as much freight and big bucks in the Southeast but there's still good freight there. Winter time rates took a dump down south because many drivers flooded the market being scared of the cold.
    Strangely I got my best Northeast loads during winter when supposedly freight sucks during winter but I guess that's because the Northeast got blasted by storm after storm and freight backed up and drivers didn't want to go near that crap. I remember during winter I'll never forget this lol I saw a MA to IA load for over $1.90 ... will probably never see that again.

Oh and as far as website yeah Schneider has info on their site of the program and youtube videos (posted one on first post of this thread) but that only goes so far.
    Finding out pay and rates is a pain in the behind and Schneider doesn't like to talk about it..
    In fact any freaking place that pays % I found that they didn't like to talk specifically about their customers and pay.
    I had to badger drivers all the time to suck out info from them.
    The drivers at Schneider sure know that I asked endless questions before I came.
    And yes there's LOTS of cheap fright here too but that doesn't mean you have to take it.
    There's good and bad loads everywhere but the greatness of picking your own loads is that you don't have to PICK cheap freight.
    Doesn't have to be here.. Landstar and Mercer is similar but have their differences.
    All I know is I don't trust nobody especially a desk jockey or recruiter lol and leaving it all on me is the way I like it. If I screw up, don't work, drive for cheap etc etc I can't blame anybody but myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
    Reason for edit: Member's request
  9. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    What about Jacksonville, FL? Have you alredy been there or know someone that had to? Are the rates too bad in this area?

10. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    yes (to visit family) and it sucks... you better get good rates going to FL because you'll be taking a beating coming out.
    No matter who you work for they'll tell you Florida sucks.
    MAYBE with a reefer it's okay but I wouldn't know about that.
    Shaffer sent to me FL a few times and I took OJ out.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  11. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Whatever you do don't go further south than Jacksonville because if you do then it's really peanuts coming out.
    I have seen $3 loads go to Southern Florida a couple times but that's because you'll be driving for fuel money on the way out lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.