Picky Q's about Marten Details

Discussion in 'Marten' started by Saienga, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Gluvs

Gluvs Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Sussex,Wi
    Not impressed and I am going to leave after 2 weeks.
    First when I was hired they told me because of expierence I would making $.39 mile ok great! But during orientation
    I was told they would be taking $.025 cents of that for taxes because their charged more for giving per diem.
    Well, I was told by my recruiter I could opt out after 6 months,during orientation they said that that was not allowed any more!!!
    At orientation I was told freight was slow 2000-2300 miles per week.ok?
    First week 2300 miles Great!
    Second week 1300 miles.
    Delivered a load a load Friday close to the Arch, and my next load picks up on Sunday (52hrs Later)for a wopping 300 miles..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Like their radio spot sez...

...ALWAYS CONSISTANT MILES!

4. Saienga

Saienga Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm aware that the miles are going to be spotty. Compared to my current situation, though, it'll be an upgrade.

I'm not looking to get rich next year, just pay the bills.

Per Diem is Per Diem, honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. Living in CA, I lose about 12-15% of my income to Fed and State taxes. So if Per Diem gives me more than 85% percent of what I would gross not on per diem, I'm coming out even or ahead.

As long as I get paid, 1300 miles or 3300 miles, that's all I'm really concerned about.

5. dutt

dutt Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2009
    sunman, In
    I've been debating on going to marten myself.Been out of a truck about 11/2 years.Just scared to into it, and be worse off than i am now

6. satmantoo

satmantoo Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    somerset ky
    I talked to an accountant and did the math. Lets use 120000 average per year miles driven times the two and a half cents they charge as a "FEE" to give you the per diem early. Thats a $3,000.00 per year fee. That Randy Marten is a snake if ever I've seen one.

7. Saienga

Saienga Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Brother, you and Greaterbaatzu hit this one pretty hard all over the boards.

Here's my philosophy: a driving job is about more than just the money it puts in the bank. It has to be. We live in the truck for weeks at a time. If I get a truck that works, an APU, decent freight, and can get the truck fixed when it needs fixing, I'll take two and a half cents less.

If I have to worry about getting an idling ticket, have a truck that limps around like it's lost a fight with a grizzly, no miles, and a maintenance department that tries to convince me that that oil leak "isn't really that bad" at a gallon lost per overnight, you could pay me .50/mile and I'd still want to leave.

I want a job I can live with, not a job that will make me "rich" at the expense of taking years off my life in frustration.

I've been down that road, and it made me just about as cranky as you seem to be.

I'm headed for Marten, and if they turn out to be as awful as you claim they are, I'll be surprised, imho.

8. satmantoo

satmantoo Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    somerset ky
    I just sat down and wrote a very carefully worded reply to you and then hit the wrong button and lost the whole thing, wonder if I'll be banned from this site forever because of this one, minor mistake, you know, like you would be if you were driving for Marten.
    Yes, I would take two and a half cents less for a good company truck too and they wouldn't have to tell me that I was getting two and a half cents more and then the day I sign my contract say "oh, by the way, you have to take our per diem but it's in your best interest." Then you have to tell them that the per diem and pay don't add up to your written promise of pay, and then they say that the two and half cent is a service fee for giving you what the IRS would give you at the end of the year for free.
    Hey, what's wrong with a little truth? If they are going to lie about this what else are they ling about.
    You say you wouldn't mind paying a company $3000 a year for early per diem if you got good mile? Boy are you in for a surpise, hope YOU are honest enough to come on here and tell us about all your GOOD miles with Marten after about two months.
    Good luck to you and keep it between the mayonaise and the mustard. {white and yellow lines for all you non drivers}:biggrin_25525:

9. Gluvs

Gluvs Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Sussex,Wi
    Well 3rd week is not better,delivered in,Sun Praire,Wi. Got a load to pick up on Tuesday Going To Syracuse,Ny Great 763 miles del Wednesday good load! Wait we need you to swap with some one get them home, ok They delivered in Janesville 60 miles away,well my dispatcher decided we should swap in Racine,Wi 132miles. Waited for the Driver to get there. Come to find out they where a team that just came out of there house in Reno,Nv And they asked me what I had for a replacement load,NO! My dispatcher said he was looking, Well he new that I was going to drop Monday he should have been looking for a load for Tuesday for me Right??
    Well I live 22 miles fom Racine you know what I did....No Lds..Get a dispatch at 6:00 pm pick up on Wednesday go to Mason City,Ia 300 miles. Well I have had it.. Told I could fire my Driver manager so I typed In the following Quote.. (( DO TO YOUR PERFORMANCE OR LACK THERE OF I AM TERMINATING YOU AS MY DRIVER MANAGER))
    Well that shook things up got 2 phone calls with in 10 minutes..
    New DM get me a load to Syracuse,Ny Great got my miles back.. 00:00 pick up time,ok I asked her is this a drop & Hook ((Yes)) Went to get the load at 23:00 so I could show I picked it up the same day, Get there.. No live load back in door 11 and we will wake you when your loaded..Good Night, Wake up at 6:40 to see a green light,loaded Hmm go in side where short loaders, Bill signed (in 23:00 out 08.29)...
    Make my way to Syracuse,Ny for a 19:30 delivery Friday, and to my amazement I get 2 more loads one for sat & one for monday ..
    Showed up on time and they said my appointment was for Monday The 10th, I am typing this at the receiver In Syracuse,Ny lost my other 2 loads.. GLUVS

10. Gluvs

Gluvs Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Sussex,Wi
    Oh Ya miles this week
    32 miles D/H to pick up ld to drp in Racine
    132 miles Ld to Racine
    50 miles D/H to get Syracuse,Ny ld
    755 miles to Syracuse,Ny

969 Miles and 3 34hr resets
    Gluvs

11. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Wow !

Is Marten still skidding downhill ?

I was only there 8 months and went thru 7 different dispatchers...gawd!...that was the worst choice I have ever made in my life as far as picking a trucking company.

Shame on me ....live and learn

(i feel better now....thats off my chest) :biggrin_25511:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.