Pipe Hauling as an Owner/Operator in the Permian Basin

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by BORNtoROAM, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Wymon

Wymon Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I think that is a wise choice-good luck to you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BORNtoROAM

BORNtoROAM Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Odessa, TX
    just wanted to update you fellas.. as i last reported, i was planning to get on as a company driver with pradon. like i said they didn't give me a definite YES you're hired, but the guy made it sound like i was in and would get going soon. well i called him monday like he told me, and wouldn't you know it, he barely remembered me and told me to call back wednesday because he was real busy. same #### he has told me for the past 3 weeks. absolutely ridiculous. and extremely unprofessional. so i'm completely fed up with pradon and decide it's time to find something else QUICK.

well as i'm browsing the classifieds not 5 minutes after hanging up with that idiot i get a call from a local guy i had gotten a bobtail insurance quote from, and he asked me if i'd gotten a job yet or if i need help. Why yes, in fact i do need help, i tell him. so he says he'll call around, and not 4 minutes later he calls back saying Precision Services is taking on both O/O's and co. drivers. so i run over there to apply (literally 6 minutes from my house), fill out my application, sit down with the Operations Manager who's a real nice young guy, show him my truck and trailer, and get hired on the spot just like that. next thing i know i'm giving them all my info and signing a contract and heading to take a piss test. JUST LIKE THAT. no weeks of calling them and getting jerked around. amazing. feels so good

so yeah, i'm throwing caution to the wind and taking the plunge into O/O land. i figure it's worth a shot. all i need is a couple paychecks and i should be good as far as maintenance bills go. just gotta treat her like a baby and pray nothing goes wrong for a month

anyway that's my story. amazing what a difference competent office management makes. really glad i found these guys. they feel like a family. wish me luck guys :)

4. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Good luck!

The main difference between those 2 companies is that you found the one NEEDING drivers. It may work out perfect you. You may also find that there is a reason why they are needing drivers so bad. But even then...as long as they pay on time and the checks don't bounce... you'll be getting your feet wet and making contacts. Go get 'em!

BORNtoROAM Thanks this.
  5. BORNtoROAM

Jan 23, 2012
    Odessa, TX
    thanks!

and i hear ya, but from what i gathered from the other O/O's i talked to, they're just extremely busy. they all get several loads a day. and they have forced dispatch, which i don't mind. they've only been around 3 or 4 years and they're growing. just have a small fleet that is maxed out on work. so they were looking to add 3 o/o's and a couple company drivers. i just got lucky by stumbling in right at the beginning of this new round of hiring. that, and i hit it off with the operations manager well. everyone in the office seems real competent and like nice people. i have a good feeling about all this

also pradon DID need new drivers. they wouldn't advertise in the paper otherwise. the guy doing the hiring just seems inept and disorganized. not to mention impersonable

6. Wymon

Wymon Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Cool!-let us know how it works out!

BORNtoROAM Thanks this.
  7. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Sounds good. If the other owner ops are happy....that says a lot.

BORNtoROAM Thanks this.
  8. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    Glad it worked out for you.

BORNtoROAM Thanks this.
  9. BORNtoROAM

Jan 23, 2012
    Odessa, TX
    Thanks for all the support and advice fellas. I'll let you know how it goes. Can't wait for that first paycheck... unfortunately i'm starting in between pay periods, so i probably won't get it till the 25th. bummer

10. Jack Culp

Jack Culp Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Google oil field equipment to be hauled and rates. There is still plenty of stuff moving in and out of the oil patch. Also sign up with 123 Load board. They can keep you busy and you will know the rates and routs B-4 you haul it. Jack Culp

11. BigRigBillyTrucking

BigRigBillyTrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    TEXAS
    Just curious, are you still in business as owner operator?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.