The Western Star 5700 is made in Cleveland NC alongside Freightliners. I read somewhere, that as a consequence, it uses a Cascadia frame. Not sure it would weigh as much as the Western stars made out in Oregon. Either way, WS coming out of Cleveland is crap.
My 2019 is plagued with lots of interior fit/finish issues. Virtual Tech hasn't worked since a few weeks after ownership. They can't figure it out. Bad paint with orange peel and foggy clear coat that easily chips. Buddy who order one at the same time is having the entire hood repainted under warranty because huge sections of paint are letting go. Peels right off. We've both lost lost of money because the truck sits at the dealership getting stuff fixed.
One problem is that WS is a semi custom truck, with thousands of possibilities, and Freightliner isn't. With only one WS model coming out of this plant, Cleveland struggles with correctly building the 5700.
Long backlog of orders didn't help. Plus Cleveland NC is located in the middle of nowhere, so they struggle with keeping the plant sufficiently staffed with workers.
All in all, $150K is a lot of money for what you get. The 5700 sure is pretty to look at, but I think you'll be happier buying a less pretty 4900 built in Oregon.
Planning on getting a 2020 5700XE
Page 2 of 6
Hey Glass......I got another CB under warranty and it hasn't done it any more. So it was either the CB or I moved a wire the right way when I swapped them??? LOL
Is it possible for the power wire to backfeed into it if it was touching something?
So far my 2020 4900 seems to have better build quality than my 2013 had. And the paint on the roof and drip rails of my 2013 peeled off.
Current Laundry List:
1. Driver's side window regulator still makes crunching sound after two replacements. Door panel now rattles all the time. Cold air is now coming through top of the panel. Window freezes over.
2. Passenger's side window drags. Operates much slower than driver's side. At least it doesn't rattle. No cold air coming through. Maybe I'll just not let them touch it.
2. Virtual Tech system is still inoperative. This also means no dash clock, no compass heading... for the last ten months. VT box replaced 2 times.
Dash wiring checks out okay. Dealership even sent WS a video of the box booting up. They have no idea. (Funny thing is that I have always gotten all my friend's VT emails because salesman mistakenly listed me as a recipient. My buddy has never gotten them. I have to forward all these emails so he gets the info. I've asked salesman ten times to remove my name.)
3. Soggy sleeper carpet. Won't dry out. I believe it to be coming through the poorly designed under-bunk access door seals. Foam backed padding under the bunk is soaking wet all the time. I dry it out. It's wet again when I'm not looking. I have adjusted the catches now until there is no more threads remaining. Still getting wet. Dealership says they would have to call in a body shop to lift up the carpet!!! Say what!!!?
4. DD13 was making an odd rythmic clattering noise coming from the fuel rail every 3-4 seconds. You can feel the clattering on the rail. Detroit Diesel was sent a video and said they've never heard an engine make that noise. It's not the fuel quantity valve. There's no metal in the filters, so it's not the pump coming apart. Detroit wanted to replace ALL the injectors next (because they have no idea what else to do), but then the noise disappeared. Engine has been quiet for weeks. Well, I don't like just throwing parts at something without knowing what's going on. And three different techs said they wouldn't do it either if it was theirs. So I had dealer ask Detroit if they still wanted new injectors. Now Detroit won't answer the dealership. That was three weeks ago and still an open ticket.
5. Just started smelling coolant coming from the auxiliary heater in the sleeper. BTW, is that heater supposed to feel hot to the touch... even though it's off and it's temp dial is turned all the way cold?
6. Accuride wheels all corroding.
7. Bad paint, bad clear coat, plus paint chips since new. Nobody wants to fix it. Both doors dented since new. Nobody wants to fix them. Excuse after excuse.
List goes on. Truck has sat idle at the dealership for eleven business days (dealer doesn't work on weekends) over the course of just the last month. Truck hasn't had one thing corrected.
Truck has 75K miles on the clock.
Yes, those window regulator cables are not the best. I replaced them twice in the 2013 and the 2020 makes noises sometimes.
I have the DD13 505/1850 in the 2020 and so far so good. Fingers crossed.
I can't help with the rest because I don't have sleepers. But that is pretty sad. I don't know what is going on in that factory? Just seems to be a lot of flaws getting out the door that should not be. Especially when they brag about being an expensive "premium" truck.
So far I have 100k on my 5700 2020. Took delivery on may 1st. So far so good. During PDI there were a few paint issues mainly from transport driver scratching paint on driver's door.
Really only problem I have had is drivers side windshield leaked, both bottom convex mirrors were rattling. Little plastic tabs were broke from factory. Some scratches on the cabinets in sleeper. All defects repairs during PDI. Other than that the truck has been rock solid.
DD15 , 18 speed, 3.25 rears I drive it at 65 most times and get #### near 7.5 mpg for life of truck. Now this winter has dropped fuel mileage. Just goes to show the wild variations from truck to truck. Mine was built in NC as well. Also believe dealers have alot to do with it as well getting repairs made during PDI. Hopefully everyone can get problems resolved.
Page 2 of 6