Planning to build a small fleet, which truck to start with?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kratogen, Dec 1, 2020.

1. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    On March 11, I took out a signature loan on one of my credit cards for $11,000, withdrew $2000 from my checking, and deposited into my TD Ameritrade account. As of close of business this week, I have turned that $13,000 into $38,500! I expect to be at $41,000 at next week's end. But I miss the road, so I am getting ready to head back out for a couple of months. When I get back I'll have a decision to make...

ready2truck Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Dude, I hope your are kidding because China is an absolute treasure on these forums.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    My truck made me over 4 times in value in 9 months. You have to sell relestate to actually make money. Two different types of assets. I don't care if this truck and trailer sit in a field and rot after I'm done with them, I will have made my money back, lol. I really have no idea what the point of continuing this with you is.

I'm on this now. could've tried this from the start.

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Ready2Truck I totally understand where you are coming from. I understand Doug as well.

Both of you have different paths and that’s cool!

I just don’t agree that trucking can’t be a very profitable business and much more profitable then others. Ready to Truck I say keep doing your thing! Trucking is one of the few businesses out there that I’ve saw where you can start with very very little money all things considered, and turn it into a big success. The sky is the limit, you can take it however far you want to.

Sure tons of people fail, tons of people fail at tons of businesses.

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I think you can make money in this business but there is just so much regulation and everywhere you turn money comes out of your pockets. It's just part of it and I'm not saying you can't make money but there's a lot that goes into that making money.

I would imagine that a good Carpenter or plumber or electrician could probably make at least the same or better without all of the regulation and expense.

This business is good for generating money, and plenty of people have parlayed it into other things.

But my opinion is trucks are not an asset in the way real estate is. You can own real estate and really not do anything and the value increases.

Trucks Only decrease in value and they only have value if you insure them tag them fuel them maintain them and work them. And keep up with all the regulation and paperwork Etc.

The type of business that Doug AKA is talking about is a business that has materials that people come to purchase and he uses his trucks to bring his own materials in for resale, if I understand what he's saying correctly.

I would definitely feel that that type of a business would generate a better income than an actual trucking business.

That type of the business though also requires real estate and requires more people and mobilization.

So I think both of you are correct in your point but the type of a business that Doug is talking about is a higher tier of business, and I would think if you put them side-by-side that would be the business that generates more money, probably with less headaches, certainly with less regulation.

7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    But here he is dealing with the regulations anyway in order to support his other business. Me personally, I don’t like dealing with the public. I’m a business to business type of guy. The public drives me nuts.

As for real estate, of course that’s mostly good but where do you get the money to buy the real estate? You can use trucking as a vehicle to get into a position to actually buy it. Without that vehicle your dead in the water.

Im sorry but IMO 80k is jack #### when it comes to buying any sort of real estate. What am I supposed to do, buy a house out in the country that rents for $1000/mo tops? So, 12k per year and I still have to maintain it, pay taxes on it, and deal with the headaches of horrible renters who don’t pay or trash it? Let someone manage it you say? There goes even more of your “profit”. The only real money you’ll make on it other then peanuts is the appreciation alone. I agree that can add up but it takes years to decades and is slow going. You can’t take that and buy more real estate with it. You still must have a “vehicle” that is generating significant profits to keep stacking up and rolling over into more of these investment you are speaking of.

I don’t think anyone ever said trucks were a good investment asset size. They are tools to turn profits.

IMO of course!

edit: Me personally, I don’t want to spend my entire life slowly building assets by the decade through appreciation. I want to make money NOW. And a lot of it. I don’t have time to be patient.

tommymonza, lynchy and loudtom Thank this.
  8. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I'm out of this, as I've said my piece. I'm glad you guys are out there killing it. I know many of you love the life and are making a good living at it.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Have alil extra money? Smart? Make quick money?
    Play the futures and stock market! Wont take decades or a lifetime to show results. I hope to be reading posts in a few months or a year or two where a few bucks turned to zillions.
    Best wishes :occasion5:

10. dibo11

dibo11 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2016

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.