Planning to get a 2013 Volvo D13 425HP 13 speeds. Any know issues?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by visoiuvlad, Dec 19, 2016.

1. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The later model Volvo D13's still have Injector Cup issues, so you may want to make sure that problem has been addressed before purchasing one.

QuietStorm and visoiuvlad Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. visoiuvlad

visoiuvlad Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2014
    How can I know if there was a problem with the injector cup, and if it was fixed?
    It should be in the maintenance record?

4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Ask the Seller for the Service Records or get the last six numbers of the truck's V.l.N. and call the Stealership, as alot of them were done Under Warranty.

Do a Search on this Forum with Volvo Injector Cup Issues and there will be numerous threads about them.

visoiuvlad Thanks this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    From the linked article, the wife (co-owner) made the following comment:

“Trucking just isn’t what it used to be,” Vernon said. “With deregulation it’s becoming very competitive.”

According to Loretta, it’s getting harder to find drivers, adding that an individual can’t drive across state lines until they are 21-years-of-age, and by that age many have found something else.

“DOT regulations are getting very much harder,” Vernon said.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
  7. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Nice looking truck. If I buy another truck it will be a 730.

Ok so the injector cups are a known issue. Volvo only did a band aid solution. That year may already have the Stainless steel cups. But count on doing cups again eventually. 5 to 6k job at the dealer.

Also injector wiring harness oil leak. Again no real solution just replace it with same part that will eventually leak again.

Check to see if Venturi tube and egr delta p have been updated to new design.

At 500k the fan hub assembly will go out ao keep an eye out for this because it couls potentially take out you radiator.

KB3MMX, visoiuvlad and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    This is on point. Very accurate. The EGR valve will go too.
    Injector cups & EGR valve are the biggies. You should have the DPF serviced every 180K as PM item.
    Whomever is selling the truck should have the maintenance records.
    I'd bet the cups have been done already. 425 HP is just fine, and won't suck as much fuel.

visoiuvlad Thanks this.
  9. iceman 2336

iceman 2336 Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2016

10. visoiuvlad

visoiuvlad Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2014
    They told me that they have a bunch of 730's so I'm going to pick one that has the steel injector cups.
    When the egr valve goes can I just disconnect the egr? I heard that it can be a good thing.

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yes that is an old van wyk truck and it did nothing but pull a reefer as van wyk does not own any dry vans .
    The van wyk that went out of business was in grinnell ia and had nothing to do with the Sheldon ia van wyks and were a small ltl company.
    I won't say you should or shouldn't buy that truck but be aware that VW doesent do anything more in terms of maintenance than they absolutely have to knowing they will dump the truck before the engine warranty is up .
    The last truck I had at VW was a Cummins powered Volvo that was guzzleing oil by the time it had 460k on it and they thought nothing of running drain intervals so long that the oil filters would plug up .
    Buyer beware and get an oil sample.

25(2)+2, baha and visoiuvlad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.