Planning to go OTR with boyfriend

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Lisseida, Oct 8, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I will reinforce this with a little tidbit.

In that truck before Moses arranged for shipments to build is Ark.. (Bear with me... paraphrasing...) and Sinai Trucking started running freight in the beginning of time, there was a rule created between two drivers who could not get along. They were Cain and Abel.

This rule?

Real simple. Whoever is in that drivers seat is Captain. He or she decides what goes. It's OFFICE, a work place. etc.

The Passenger is always welcome to come out of the sleeper and visit a while in that Pax right seat. HOWEVER.... using a example with wife and I should we argue? No. Not acceptable. The noise and yelling stops. Wife or I not driving gets to go into the bunk, close the curtains and BOTH PEOPLE inside that truck focuses on QUIET and PEACE because it is necessary for the Captain to focus on being safe with that tractor trailer.

At some point, maybe a hour, maybe half day or even a full 10 hour sleeper break, making for a new day both people should politely greet one another and verify that both are doing better. Not necessarily agreeing over that topic of contention or arguing. But necessarily that they are emotionally and mentally straight so to speak and able to be civil and nice to each other.

Worry about the arguing later some other time away from that truck, preferably at home. It's not such a hot big deal now is it that both of you have had time to quietly think things through. You don't have to agree anything today or tomorrow. But what you have to do is maintain a situation inside that tractor trailer where both of you and everyone around you on that highway is SAFE.

Does any of this make sense? Sometimes closing the sleeper berth curtian with the understanding that the Berth is a house not to be entered by the driver (Captain) without permission of the spouse or co driver or passenger using that berth to cool down or otherwise get rested etc.

It works both ways. It has to. Because it is a very small space and you WILL have moments where a domestic is very well possible without disclipine or as the Corps would say "Losing your bearing..." certain things is required of truckers and since day one I was taught this rule like back in the 70's when I first learned about truckers. People taught me many things and I have always done the same teaching where possible to others because it flat works.

I hope that somewhere in all of this it makes sense to you. It has to. You cannot be allowing yourself to sink into violence of words, yelling etc especially when one of you is holding both of your lives and 40 tons at 70 mph...

Schoob and brsims Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Schoob

Schoob Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast Mo
    I took a girl I had been dating for years on a trip from southeast, mo (home) to virginia beach. Out and back 3 day run. She had fun the first day seeing new sights, but on the turn around she'd seen it all and we argued the whole way back. Left her 6 months later and started dating someone else a few months after that. I invited her on a trip with me to cali and it was smooth sailing there and back. She quit her job in the 4 days I was off and hopped back in and rode shotgun mostly west coast and back for the next 7 months. Even stayed in hotels or on couch's with me on the few days we were home in between runs, hell we slept in the car a time or two. I didn't have a place because when i'd broke up with the last gal I threw or gave away everything i owned, moved out of the rental house and hit the road. Eventually I decided to come in and go local and got us a place. We're getting married in May. Neither one of us would have missed one mile for the world. I say do it. If you can make it on a truck you can make it anywhere.

Chinatown and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try online stock trading (day trading) with your laptop. Get some books:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can get software to automatically sell or buy at certain prices in case you're not on the computer when a good price is available. My wife does this at home and it's easy to make a hundred dollars or two hundred dollars a day. Her best week was $10K trading during a 5 day period. She can make a little something every day though.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Also, the comments about restroom breaks. This is solved with an RV potty. They're very nice and odor free. Probably get one cheaper online than at a store.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I second the RV Human potties.

7. tammon71

tammon71 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2017
    First I haven't done this yet, but my husband has been a truck driver 12 years we have been married 12 years. My fist marriage was a marine. Both marriages my men left a lot and both marriages our plan after the kids were grown was to go on the road somehow. Oddly enough I'm disabled that I can not work I spend most my days in a bed or recliner and my husband is my caretaker. Our last son is in his 3rd year of college and most likely won't be coming home again. But thats a good thing sad in ways but good.
    Well my life long dream has been to write and when my son went off to college I started to take some courses slowly very very slowly to help make this happen.
    But now my husband had brain surgery in may while he was off recovering his employer let him go so we are taking this and jumping feet first and I'm ready to write, blog, we do bible study's because writers have to read all the time and I'm a Christian writer so I'm currently reading 4-5 books bad I don't even know lol. But he loves when I read to him. Or we listen to them on audio. We listen to music, motivational speakers, sermons, and even our favorite TV shows through blue tooth. We spend a lot of time on the road together for doctor appointments. We own a camper and love to camp, actually we love the isolation of the camping. Now we also have been through heavy stuff in our marriage that has caused separation forgiveness that makes us strong and knowing those things about someone before going on the road is a good idea. My suggestion is take a vacation from work and take a trial run see how you do. If by day 5-7 you can't wait to get back to your world you may have your answer.
    Good luck and god bless

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Now this is a motivational post. Very well written. Awesome.:) now that I can draw a happy face to support this idea.

9. im sorry i dont use GoOgLe to look for tents. @Chinatown this is my reference to 2 man tent
    IMG_20171010_214851.jpg

so not really offended

by this

IMG_20171010_215111.jpg

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  11. Rodneytransport01

Rodneytransport01 Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Just wondering what you decided to do, I'm in the same boat and we are on our first long trip together, I know no one can tell me what my right answer is but just wanted to know what you decided to do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.