Play in trailer kingpin, how much is OK?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tom Thumb, Sep 23, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I use two or three of the prefilled packets of grease. Slap one ahead of the angle plates on the back of the 5th wheel and one just at or above the front of the hole. Connect in such a way to make your 5th wheel flop over flat under the trailer so it will smooth that all over your 5th wheel.

Lithium grease if I remember right did very well in wet situations.

ichudov Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Moose, point taken, I honestly wasn’t sure what to do when I was told it’s fine. I brought it to their attention because I didn’t think it was ok but didn’t have much else to go on besides what they told me, which was “it’s fine so stop worrying”. My gut feeling was that he was full of $##+. After reading thru all the posts on here I now know it’s not fine and have lost the trust in our mechanics. Trust me as a novice in this industry I don’t want to start out with an accident due to my neglect or worse killing someone because of it. Thanks again to all that have given their thoughts and advice. I will stick with my gut in the future because your right what happens on the road will be my fault.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    All true, but I would add this.

Don’t adjust fifth wheel jaws on a trailer with a worm out kingpin. You run the risk of going too tight and not being able to lock to a new trailer.

Tom Thumb, x1Heavy and ichudov Thank this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm going on 2 1/2 years same truck and trailer without any issues.

Keep the 5th wheel greased and you won't be thumping so much. Mine goes away as long as it stays greased up.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    All good advice. Someone did mention or ask if you drop & hook to different trailers. Could be worn out kingpin. One other thing I have seen is. When unhooked look up under at where kingpin is welded to the trailer 5th wheel plate. Never saw the weld broke, but have seen the 5th wheel plate cracked around where the iron finally got stressed. I know grease kinda covers up cracks so use an old glove or piece of wood and create a view around it. Probably not the problem..but could be. On aluminum framed trailers that plate is bolted on. The plate where the kingpin is connected. After a few years that whole plate could be getting loose. Aluminum and steel don't get along together. This takes time to happen. I got to say that mechanic should've walked out and watched it while you move back and forth to see whats going on. Or someone wiser than him to watch. Fifth wheel issues not something to take lightly.

7. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Some fifth wheels are prolapsed or collapsed, not flat. You can tell that by grinding sounds during turns. We had to cut out and reweld a plate around the kingpin on one flatbed.

x1Heavy and stillwurkin Thank this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Just because a guy wears coveralls, works in the shop, has a big red toolbox and a lousy attitude, doesn't mean he's a good mechanic.
    A good mechanic would have listened to your problem and then checked the king pin and the fifthwheel. A good mechanic would not have belittled you and shrugged off your complaint just because you're a greenhorn.
    Hang in there, you've been given some great advice in this thread by some guys who really know what's going on.
    And don't go sour on all mechanics just because of this episode. Mechanics tend to be grouchy but a good mechanic, and a good relationship with your shop, makes everything much easier...for you and them both.
    Learn from this and go on.

Woodys, MACK E-6, x1Heavy and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

yes, that would be me saying that i get what hes saying. but at the end of the day, what @baha said only makes sense to drivers that know what hes saying.

10. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

fixed your post. your welcome. don't worry about the ignore, i consider it a vacation

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Free play in a 5th wheel should only be .040 to .080 inches... Here is a video that shows a special tool for checking 5th wheel adjustment and 5th wheel locks. There are many types of 5th wheels and each has a different type of adjustment method but the principals shown in this video still apply.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.