Play in trailer kingpin, how much is OK?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tom Thumb, Sep 23, 2018.

1. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Or you could just grease the back half of the 5th wheel and then when you slide the trailer up your grease will evenly cover the entire 5th wheel.

More than one way to skin a cat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bucky

Bucky Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2013
    DOT permissible play is 1/2 in. If additional play is found, the vehicle is placed out-of-service.

Just my two cents, but I do believe the fifth wheel is the most neglected component on most trucks.

I am inclined to believe this out of service will go on the driver's CSA score. A future employer may not be impressed.

Last I knew if you go to court and a charge is dropped, the charge still remains on your CSA. Another instance where due process is just too much trouble for governing bodies.

Tom Thumb Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Actually just applying to the back half of the plate is not a good idea. Either the back half gets all the grease or it all gets scraped off and nothing gets sufficient grease. Regardless, as long as the front corner of the trailer first makes contact near the front of the 5th wheel plate, is the most important thing, then lower the trailer or raise the tractor.

The key objective is to get ALL the grease channels completely full of grease. Front to back.

snowwy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.