Please Don't Laugh at Me...2WD vs 4WD when using a dually?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by The3SomeTrailer, Jan 22, 2019.

1. The3SomeTrailer

The3SomeTrailer Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Well I appreciate it much, gentlemen. You saved me $3k up front, and god knows how much fuel and repair costs down the road!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    All the weight is up front if you're not pulling a trailer.

4. The3SomeTrailer

The3SomeTrailer Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Wait. Did you read what I wrote? I am pulling a 3 car wedge (most likely with 2 vehicles at any given time) and wanted to know if 4x4 is necessary.

5. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Yep I read what you wrote.

If that truck lives w your trailer on its back then okie dokie.

6. Saad_5533

Saad_5533 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2019
    I'm getting into the car hauling (or freight haven't decided) and was wondering if 2wd would be fine if your hauling from NY (Long island).
    All I see people getting are 4wd. I know less moving parts the better but confused why people get 4wd.

7. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Better to have 4x4 and not need it than to need 4x4 and not have it.

Spend 100K on a rig to save 3 grand.

Haha!

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

Again, unless you do off road pickups (or snowplowing) you don't need 4wd. It's just an extra something to break. Also it drops towing capacity and fuel mileage.

People buy it because they don't realize that it's just as hard to stop on ice as it is to get going. Hence my statement earlier of "If you need 4wd on paved streets, the roads are too bad to be out it anyway."

Remember we are talking setups that typically already have difficulty stopping as their brakes just barely meet requirements. No need to add ice and snow on top of that.

BoxCarKidd and Saad_5533 Thank this.
  9. Saad_5533

Saad_5533 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2019
    Understood. Thank you for your advice!
    2wd it is.

10. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Honestly, the problem isn't you being able to drive or move, it's everyone else.
    In a situation where 4x4 may help I would just stay home, rather than have some ####### that don't know the limits of his vehicle plow into me. Or cause a pileup that I'm stuck in for hours.

Saad_5533 Thanks this.
  11. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    IMO have 4wd just gives you a unwarranted feeling of confidence. I buried my 3500 4wd Ram twice thinking I could get it in & out of a couple job sites while making delivery. Thankfully they had equipment onsite to help me out..

Around ~120k miles my front driveshaft wiped out. I pulled it on the side of I20 in LA, & tossed it the bed. I drove it another 100k like that. Picked up about .5mpg on my IFTA quarterlys, & never got stuck again because I "knew" not to take stupid chances. The best part though was now I effectively had 2wd low range. Pop the transfer case in 4low (now 2low because no front driveshaft) & I didn't have to slip the clutch while in reverse. Clutch fully engaged it'd creep at about 1.2mph. Fantastic for tight quarter backing.

I also believe that you see more 4wd trucks on the road because 8 out of 10 diesel pickups on the lot are dealer ordered that way it seems.

Last note for the OP, shift on the fly 4wd is nothing new. Its been on pickups like that for decades. Sure, a few Ford's still had manual locking hubs in the late '90's but was not the norm for dodges & GM's. The way I read your post, & my apologies if I misunderstood you, makes me think that you believe that most 4wd trucks are in 4wd at all times & that's simply not the case. The front axle is only powered when you command it to be, either by floor mounted shift lever, or push button on the dash. The loss in fuel economy comes from the extra weight of the components, & the parasitic drag of the front differential, driveshaft & transfer case all turning.

Some newer 4wd will have front hub disconnects so the front diff, & driveshaft won't have to spin, helping with the economy somewhat..

The3SomeTrailer, x1Heavy and BCV Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.