Please Explain This To Me

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by BookingYou19, Sep 25, 2013.

1. BookingYou19

BookingYou19 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Forest Lake, MN
    I have noticed more and more hypocrisy from carriers on certain subjects. Not all carriers, but here are 2 examples in which I see many different opinions in many different situations, each time ending in the driver wanting more money or is unwilling to give money back.

Why is it that if a shipper/receiver holds a truck for more than 4 hours, they DEMAND detention, but if they miss a delivery by 12 hours or a full day and I want to fine the, it is unjust?

Or

Why do I receive calls every time drivers are 5,000 lbs over what the load said, DEMANDING money? But I have yet to receive a single call to give me money back when drivers come in at half the weight that is posted.

Or

When an additional pick or drop is added, carriers want more money than the original RPM or something outrageous, but when one is removed along with miles, they should be paid the same?

Does anyone deal with these scenarios in a specific way? I have my own practices and they work fine, just looking to improve.

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't know about the 5000 over deal...but on the first and last question the answer is simple....... it's called "Greed"

:)

mje Thanks this.
  4. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Well, on the detention, if the truck ain't rolling, its not making money, and those 4 hours still count against the clock on his logs, thus making him possibly delayed for his next load.

We've had to cancel loads because a shipper held us up. That makes us look BAD!

Casual Trucker, TennTrucker and mje Thank this.
  5. BookingYou19

Aug 2, 2013
    Forest Lake, MN
    No, dont get me wrong, I agree detention should be paid after 4 hrs on produce unless otherwise specified. That is completely understandable, my concern is when a driver is late, as a result of their own fault, and throw a fit for being fined. I think they should be paid for waiting too long, but should also be nicked for showing up late, to a certain extent, (like a 4 hr window) to make it tit for tat.

What are your thought s on the weight issue or added picks and drops? I have always done RPM plus $50 for any added pick/drop. Unless it is going to an armpit area, then a juice it up more. As far as weight, we have always had the mindset that we are leasing the entire trailer. Not a portion, granted if it says it is going to weight 1,500 lbs and comes in at 42,000 lbs. Yes that is an issue.

mje Thanks this.
  6. bullhaulerswife

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    The only excuse for being late is mechanical breakdown, as long as you've given them ample time to get to the appointment.

Extra pick/drops add miles, and trucks don't do those miles without expense, so they should be compensated for that, as well as the time once again sitting.

Weight will always be an issue. Each driver knows what he can haul. And if you quote them a light load, then they have already figured the fuel to run the load. Add 5k to the load and that changes the amount of fuel that he will burn hauling the extra weight. You may think this is minute, but to an o/o every drop of fuel he burns is less money in his pocket.

PLUS, when you quote them one weight and then surprise, there's more ....... that makes you look like your not honest.

We've had brokers tell us, "no you don't need chains for this load, only straps" Then we get there and its a chain load only. Or you don't need to tarp this load, then you get there and they want 6-8ft drops on the load, and you've already agreed to the rate and get duped out of tarp fees.

Having the details of the load precise when dealing with the O/O is going to make them come back to you. The better the load goes, exact weight you quoted, etc, the more trust they will have in you for the next load. You slip little details in after the fact, and the trust factor has just gone to heck for you.

You want a good relationship then provide them with all the details up front, so that there are no surprises. You'll be surprised how many of them will come back to you for more business.

7. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Just an after thought...but I would imagine owner ops would fare batter in the detention drama than company drivers.

i have had two occasions where a shipper really messed up...left me sitting for two days in a dirt lot on one occasion.
    The company ( Western Star Transportation) got $450.00 per day detention and did not even share any of it with me.

I don't think they are obligated to share,but it would be nice. :biggrin_25523:

bullhaulerswife, NavigatorWife and mje Thank this.
  8. bullhaulerswife

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    They don't have an hourly detention policy for the drivers? That's just not right. :biggrin_2557:

mje and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  9. BookingYou19

Aug 2, 2013
    Forest Lake, MN
    I understand all of those points and i agree with them, there should be compensated for time, added weight if it is noteable, added picks and drops, miles etc. But why are we not given money back when a driver is loaded light? Or when picks/drops are removed? Or when they get to a receiver or shipper late? Shouldnt it go both ways? Barring mechanical breakdowns, there shouldnt be an issue for wanitng money back fro those issues.

I had a guy call me last night at 11 pm saying his driver was out of hours and didnt make his PU. He needed to PU this AM and now deliver tomorrow (1 day late)

How should this be fairly handled as far as a carrier standpoint?

mje Thanks this.
  10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I think BHW hit the high points really well.

I'll add that in the van/reefer line of work, exact weight isn't so much an issue as improper loading or overloading at a shipper. In addition to delaying my departure and likely forcing me into an unworkable trip plan, you've also got me making a lap to the scales and having to deal with the shipper a second time. My good faith has limits. Start trying to grind me in the middle of something like that, you're likely to get a call from the shipper while they pull their crap off my truck. All of it.

For me personally, excessive detention and changing the load weight, dimension, stops or other detail after the fact puts me on the defensive. When that happens, you know I'm "bought in" at that point. As long as your offer aligns with the original rate negotiation, I'll accept it and move on. That is, provided you've also understood and accounted for the extended consequences of your change on my part. If you're brilliant change has caused me to cancel a reload or put me at some other disadvantage (scheduling, location), you need to pay for that too.

If a relationship exists, fine. We'll work it out on the next one if you're in a bind. For my very short list of good customers that goes both ways. I've given them a pass on detention or hauled a cheapie here and there, because I know the volume exists to work out the shortfall. On the other hand, if this is a one-timer or once in a while deal, I've got to get whole on the changes right now or never. If I change the terms after the fact, I expect the same from you.

I think the part that stings the most is the often condescending and dismissive nature that brokers tend to approach things like this with. After driving around to scales and dealing with stupid people at the docks all night, facing an all-nighter drive skipping meals and showers to make it work, I'm really not in the mood to be super accommodating. After all, until you the broker agrees and issue and updated rate con, all the money is coming out of my pocket to meet your customer's needs. You acknowledge that very simple concept and don't take advantage, you'll remain at the top of my go-to list.

11. BookingYou19

Aug 2, 2013
    Forest Lake, MN

I agree this is bull-corn. Sometimes brokers, do not get paid for detention from the shipper. Both for their own reasons and for certain commodities. But if I ever do get money for detention I always give it to the driver. The happier they are the better they remember you for next time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.