Please give advice for the RV community

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Creativity RV, Sep 13, 2018.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I don't agree with the light flashing either. The side mirrors on trucks are huge. I can see whats in it ,on my left side, without even looking directly into it. It's well within my peripheral vision. I know when a motorcycle is coming up to pass, or if someone is coming over into my lane, while looking straight ahead. Lol, maybe I'm an exception.

But a pickup pulling a trailer already has the headlights pointing up from the weight of the trailer. Add in a flash of the bright high beams and it's just way to much. High beams are the easiest to flash it seems.

Turning on the marker/parking lights is courteous. If they are looking at you then they will see it, without blinding them.

Idaho, Oregon, And Washington are full of drivers that like to flash their lights when they pass. Lol, those places drive me nuts.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's the other thing, make that two other things mentioned by Skeller,

First to flash properly go to low or off state on those lights. Not high beans. Way to destroy that drivers vision you mutt.

The other thing the peripheral vision. It's actually superior to that little group of cells you focus on with the main lenses In combat, driving, flying etc your side vision will give you early warning of a situation that is probably going to affect you very shortly. But it's never sharp enough to shoot on. Imagine if God gave us a complete retina as sharp as the middle lenses we use for detail work. It would be way too much.

EDIT...

I should wait a few years until Electronic Optical Based Sensors reach the necessary thousands of receptors per inch (Actually tens of thousands) to transmit a image to your brain as a bionic or augmentation for those with poor retinas or blind.

We already know how to transmit optical sight from a fuctioning retina and lenses of a blind person to the optic nerves to the brain. Once the technology learns how to get really small on each tiny sensor and pack in the retina to the order of tens of thousands (100's of thousands will be like 4K lol) where it matters then we will restore pretty much the level of detail in to a blind person or one with various problems at the retina which includes blood pressure etc.

Drop em into a blind trucker and boom, qualified again to roll America.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    skellr Thanks this.
  4. Creativity RV

Creativity RV Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    With respect, i am not on vacation in my 25' RV. I live and work in it full time (just like many others), without a big bank roll. It seems like there are a fair amount of misconceptions on both sides of this discussion

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I drive for a company that supplies the RV industry. Don't get "A" RV, get several.....

Creativity RV and homeskillet Thank this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Yeah, I figure a bus, towing a van-front rv that's mostly storage, towing a car for getting around, towing a boat for why not, towing a trailer with my motorcycle, because I can't drive the bus AND my motorcycle at the same time.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    What endorsement would you need for that setup?

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    "Recreational Road Train"?

9. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Ya... Cousin Eddie is the training instructor.

Fairly obscure reference...

####ters full!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2018
    Reason for edit: Skirting profanity filter
    SolarBear, homeskillet and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    As both a professional driver and RVer, I believe your problem is more complicated. A weekend warrior walks into an RV dealer and the salesman, who couldn't give a poop about the safety of that family, sells the poor guy/gal an RV that is simply too much for whatever tow vehicle, and I use that term loosely, the folks have. RV sales hit another record high in 2017 and projected sales for 2018 should eclipse 2017. The family hits the road, with absolutely no training at all (on top of the fact that the RV is too big for the TV) and bad #### will happen. The sales guy, who is a rung or two higher in integrity than his scum bag colleagues will say, "Mister, according to the tow rating of your vehicle, you can handle this weight." B.S.!!
    There's more to a safe ride than just the tow rating, which a sales guy will more than likely max out every day of the week. Length and height of the RV play a huge role in the quality, and safety, of the ride.

I'm not one for regulation but there will come a day I predict where the number of RV accidents are going to force the Man to start passing new regulations. With more and more of these flimsy arse tissue boxes going down the road, it's going to get worse out there.

11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I think IF the RV drivers can stay in their designated spot, not put out the slides hence taking another 3 foot we need and understand that we don't have the choices they do as far as parking, rest stops and precious TIME then everyone would get along better. Me I plan to retire and live in an RV so I see both sides of the story. Truckers cannot go into most state parks it's not feasible but an RV can they have the time in most cases. Truckers don't own the roads but we are what keeps everything in the country moving including the RV folks. I think more respect and common sense from both sides is the best way to handle things. Just MHO

Naptown and Swiss Mountain Dog Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.