PLEASE give me your two cents....

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by SavageSam, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    11r24.5's are only a no go for high cube van trailers because they need a low 5th wheel height of 47" max. 24.5's are great for tankers as they usually need 49"+ 5th wheel heights.

SavageSam Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    What area do you run in and what are the average truck speed limits?

SavageSam Thanks this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I think the OP is right in trying to spec a truck to do as much as possible.
    A O/O never is 100% shure if he might have to change his freightlanes.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You ought to have an idea what you're going to ask the truck to do, though, to lean the specs in that direction. Better to have a truck that does SOMETHING well and try to do that rather than start out with a truck that is mediocre at best and bouncing around trying to make ends meet. If you want to pull a tanker, forget about making sure you'll be able to pull a van or reefer because keeping that door open also means it won't be ideal for the work you want to do. The low 5th wheel height required for vans is simply too low for most tank trailers. If you want to pull vans, it pretty much rules out vocational work such as dumps because you won't have sufficient ground clearance or proper gearing to navigate through job sites. If you want to do flats, you need sufficient gap between your cab and the trailer to accomodate a headache rack, tool boxes, or other means of stowing equipment as well as allowing for front overhang to swing clear of the cab. If you spec it light weight to be able to carry more weight, you lack durability to go certain places...and if you spec it tough enough to handle job sites and other off-the-beaten-path locations, you may be too heavy to haul certain other things.

It is a balancing act, and until you have an idea WHAT you're going to ask the truck to do, you may as well be wearing a blind fold tossing darts at the available options because you won't have a clue what you need until you know the job you're going to be doing.

You're right, though, you might have to make some changes along the way as changes to various lanes and rates demand...but it is better to start off with a truck built to do the job and then modify it as your needs change rather than to buy a truck that isn't right straight out of the gate. ESPECIALLY when you're ordering a brand new truck and can spec it however you choose. If things don't work out as planned, adjust and move on...but at least you're starting with the best tool you can buy for that job.

Think of it like a hammer. You don't use a finishing hammer to frame a house, you don't use a framing hammer to knock out a wall, and you don't use a sledge to hang trim. Although you CAN use any of those hammers to do any of those jobs, using the proper hammer for the job will help get that job done much quicker and easier.

LoneCowboy and Roberts450 Thank this.
  6. SavageSam

SavageSam Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Well right now CA. But when I buy, it will be 48 states and Canada.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Bull ####, you get what you want. If they tried to sell me less than 3.70 I would walk out. It's your truck and they w would be best to rerme over that.

8. savage02

savage02 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Upstate, NY
    3.70 is the perfect all around ratio great for hills without giving up fuel mileage. 3.70/11R24.5 3.55/LP24.5 or 11R22.5 3.42/LP22.5 all equal rpm's. I recently took delivery of my 2018 389 which I custom ordered. Specd for "versatility" X15 engine 565/1850 18spd 3.55's with full lockers on LP24.5's Low Air Leaf suspension with a 48'' 5th wheel height. Suits my needs for running the Northeast. Just my 2 cents but from personal experience unless your heavy haul that 2050tq engine is a waste and will be prone to having more emissions issues if you aren't working it hard enough.

SavageSam Thanks this.
  9. SavageSam

Feb 7, 2009
    I might of worded that wrong. Yes you can pick your rear gear. What I meant was he "Steers" you toward a nice easy "Cruising" R.P.M. for a good balance of easy wear on the motor and fuel economy.

10. SavageSam

Feb 7, 2009
    If I decide to stay with my present company and become an O/O hauling oil. They typically load them right to 79,900-79,500

11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You might want to spec a truck for MPG remember you want to make money with it.

SavageSam Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.