Please help! Broker won’t pay and wants me to pay customers labor costs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TDL Texas, Jan 26, 2021.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I've lost 1 case out of 14 people and companies I've sued. The $1300 is what the broker wants the driver to pay the broker and shipper if I read it right. Who knows how much the shipment was supposed to pay for delivery.
    Anyway will leave it up to him to decide, cheers!

77fib77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Spend $500 get weboost for the truck

77fib77 Thanks this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Then you chose the wrong career path. You should've gone to Law School!:D:cool:

6wheeler and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  5. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I hope I never run across you. This whole country is so sue happy it’s ridiculous.

roshea, 77fib77, Dockbumper and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Sorry about the punctuation comment didn't purposefully try to ruffle your feathers. Now on to common sense advice that was included that obviously was missed.

It's winter time pack some warm clothes and shoes you may need them. Easy to do for most people and that goes for anyone traveling not just truck drivers. That's automatic in November a couple blankets are put in my wife's car and a spare pair of boots by her. Gloves and hat are always with her.
    Unless the truck was parked in the middle of a cornfield there had to be a road close by with traffic' on it. I'm not buying they couldn't have stopped someone and had a county sheriff come out and get a hold of service for them. They were stuck for 10 hours or more and no one came by?? B***C***.
    They got going, talked to the receiver and said they'd be there and didn't show up. Nothing screams reliable like that. Would you be happy if they did it to you? Don't make promises you can't keep! Don't say I'll be there and not show up. They were so close, 4 hrs away and didn't make it.

Here's some things to take from this.
    Pack warm clothes and boots. You may get stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    Talk to people going by that can get a hold of someone. Don't just sit there and freeze to death. That makes zero sense.
    Don't make promises and confirmations you aren't going to keep. You look bad for any future business.
    Be more proactive in getting help for yourself.!

Where did this happen? What state and area? If it was in the rural midwest I'd almost guarantee someone would've stopped to help had you flagged them down. I personally have the 3 closest county sheriff's department non emergency numbers in my phone for those situations. If I was going by and was asked I'd call for you as most in this area would. If time permitted I'd probably have you get in my vehicle to warm up for a bit. I don't know of many that would just say screw you but there's a few out there. If one does that then stop the next one. Again you need to be pro active.
    I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

BTW I'm curious, are you from one of the armpit cities or areas of the country? If so most of rural America is a lot better and more helpful than that. Please remember that.

7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    The broker didn't pass on the information that you were going to be late?

I would push back and ask the customer how much it cost him. Then figure it out from there.

8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I think you might have missunderstood his point on taking people and companies to court.
    Many of us including myself have businesses where we have to take people and companies to court to get actual payments owed to us for goods and services when we are not paid by the customer.
    He is not talking about suing McDonald’s
    because he got burned by their coffee and is claiming he didn’t know the coffee was hot because there was no warning label.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.