Please help me! Screwed by contractor on first hot shot load

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by denton, Jul 14, 2011.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    oh oh, craigslist, that says it all. He ain't answering the phone because he's out partying and kicking it up!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Something that might help you is to go to a truck stop and pick up some blank bill of ladings. Fill it out using the load information. Call the consignee and explain to them that you forgot to get them to sign the bill of lading and ask them if they would sign one if you faxed or emailed it to them. Make sure to put the pickup and delivery dates on the bill of lading. If they will sign the bill of lading after the fact, you may still have a way to get your money. Make sure you put a description of the trailer and serial number on the bill of lading. Getting this signed could save your neck. It would be good if you remembered the person who accepted delivery. Did you have any paperwork or have the consignee sign anything when you delivered? If not then try to get them to sign the bol if you fax or email it to them.

BigJohn54 Thanks this.
  4. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hey guys... would you mind not kicking the guy in the teeth while he's down... telling him "well I would have.." or "you should have".... all of that is worthless now.

He DID, he completed the work, and likely got screwed... so helping him involves giving advice or legal direction, not pissing on him when he's already wet.

BigJohn54 and trucker_101 Thank this.
  5. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    I see drivers recommending Craig's List all the time. It makes me cringe. I wouldn't go there with someone else's computer, a ten-foot pole and a latex body suit. In addition, I would not have my company name associated with it.

Craig's List and Yahoo are two peas in a pod. They are cesspools of predators, spammers, pedophiles and fraudulent people. Both these sites make money on traffic count and they don't care who they count.

They give Buyer Beware a whole new level of meaning. I am surprised at how many people don't understand the dangers of some of the sites on the Internet.

6. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sorry for your trouble, danged hard way to learn the bad side of the business. There's LOTS of honest people out there. Where does this guy (you ran for) live?

7. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Dang... you KNOW I was hoping he lived in Texas...

8. BigJohn54

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

I'm not sure what is legal but I don't think clearly when I have been screwed. You should check the legality of anything I might suggest you do!

I might just take another one of his loads. Right to a safe storage location and cash out any fuel advance on the card. Now you could probably get in trouble unless you were maybe broke down.

The point would be to learn the shipper. Then I would give him the chance to pay me for both loads and I would deliver the second. I would make sure he knew that I would hold the load (while I was broke down) and make sure the shipper and receiver knew what he was doing. I would also mention the Attorney General and any other government agency I could get involved.

Now just know that I have had nose surgery more than once when I cut off my nose to spite my face. But I have had very few times I didn't get my money.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
  9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I would not have delivered the load. Hey, I'm out of fuel, sorry. He'd have found a way to pay for it or I'd have the load. Then if he didn't pay for the load itself, at least my tanks would be full.

10. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Or Missouri/Kansas. Nothin like a good old fashioned house call.

11. BigJohn54

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

I apologize because I didn't mean to beat you up. I post about this to try to change the mentality of people who post there, use it and who suggest it to others. I really did not mean to criticize you. Again I apologize, if you check my posts you will find I am the last to criticize anybody for anything and don't condone anyone else doing it.

I live by "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I can tell you it isn't me. If I had a dollar for every bone-headed thing I've done, I'd be sipping tropical drinks somewhere while posting on TTR!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
    halfburn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.