Please let me know if this was dangerous or not...

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by JohnDenversOmelet, Feb 21, 2019.

1. JohnDenversOmelet

JohnDenversOmelet Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019

This is video a driver posted from their semi-truck dashcam. Per the driver's description:

> This is just sad...Why live in a state where it snows, but can't drive for #### in it??? I was only going 40 mph even.

I believe that given the speed (40 MPH) and road conditions (12°F and snowing), that while approaching and then passing the car ahead of him that changes lanes (@ 25 sec), driver created a potentially hazardous situation if they needed to brake. There was not sufficient distance around 24-27 seconds to brake in time to avoid an accident.

Given these conditions, I believe the driver should have reduced speed. I told him this, and his response was that because I do not drive a semi-truck, that I don't know ####.

So I am seeking input from other drivers, to see if they agree or not.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    At about the 12 second mark I would have slowed to match the speed of the car in the hammer lane, as it slowed to merge into the travel lane. Just my two cents.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you are passing literally everyone on the freeway, you are going too fast for conditions.
    And by conditions I mean traffic, along with temperature and snowfall.

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Looks reasonable enough to me.... you can’t tell if he was dragging the brakes or off the throttle when approaching that car......I would of been .

P.S. the worst thing you can do is follow the conga line.......

Nostalgic, Oxbow, misterG and 9 others Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If everyone else does something will you ?

Visibility wasn’t a issue... if it was dry arctic powder 40mph is nothing......

Nostalgic, De Trucker, Oxbow and 10 others Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And yet I've been on roads that looks like that but were slicker than snot. From the video it's impossible to tell how bad the roads were. All I'm saying is that while we were not there, we also can tell that he was passing literally everyone. Maybe the roads were ok and everyone but the truck driver was running "too slow" as if that's a possibility. Maybe he was going too fast for conditions. The fact he didn't back out of it when the car changed lanes tells me what kind of driver he is...

roshea, Texas_hwy_287, tinytim and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Looked safe enough to me.
    Any slower and he may as well creep in the r lane.
    At 80K the worry isn't how slippery the roadbed is but how stupid the other motorists are.
    That being said the age old adage of only traveling as fast as you can stop comes into play when one of the dimwits moves into your space, could you stop before he gets up to speed.

Joetro, shogun, Diesel Dave and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The greatest hazard was at about the 20 second mark. Not only was following distance getting way too close, it was happening at the most dangerous time driving in these conditions: changing lanes.

Changing lanes is when traction and resistance to thicker snow outside the cleared out ruts can cause a driver to lose control, especially the resistance against built up snow between the ruts. That's why I would have owed to match speed and distance to that car around 12 seconds into it. There's very little to gain by running right up on that car and much to lose.

roshea, stwik, tucker and 10 others Thank this.
  10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Because everyone else is smarter than me.

Joetro Thanks this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Hard to tell, you can't see if the road is slick, if it's not he's doing just fine, and since there's no cars sitting in the ditch in guessing it's not slick.

Oxbow, Cat sdp and JohnDenversOmelet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.