Plz Help w/ some weights

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by AndrewW, May 8, 2020.

1. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Part time under somebody’s number pulling their trailer their insurance to make extra money. NO RISK

AndrewW and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    15-25% of the trailer weight transfers to the truck.
    DOT doesn't really know your axle rating so they rely mostly on tire rating. I upgraded my wheels to 19.5" so I get 16 ply tires on the truck. My tire ratings are way over what my truck can carry.
    Ram 3500 single rear axle has a rating of 7,000 lbs. Truck with no trailer already has about 2,700-3000 lbs on the rear axle. Your pin weight can't be over 4,000. 4,000 lb Pin weight means your trailer is loaded and weighs 16,000 - 20,000 lbs depending on load placement.
    Assuming your trailer weighs 7,000 lbs or so, if you load over 13,000 lbs load you will exceed your pin weight and your rear axle will be overloaded.

For a dually, the rear axle is 9,750 rear axle rating and already weighs 3000+ and gives you a pin weight of 6,500 you can play with.

Don't forget, a gallon of diesel is roughly 7 lbs. 60 gallons of Diesel is 420 lbs and will mostly sit on the rear axle. Straps, tarps and chains weigh more than most think. Add tools, yourself and kit and your rear axle has 4,000 lbs on it rather than 3,000.

Once your truck is ready and loaded with everything minus the trailer jump on a scale and we can do more accurate math. Also, I am always over 30,000 lb loaded and the truck does just fine, I'm normally between 33k-36k lbs. Ram's gcvwr is a recommendation and the DOT doesn't follow it.

Hope this helps.

AndrewW and Lite bug Thank this.
  4. AndrewW

AndrewW Bobtail Member

May 8, 2020
    Great info. Thank you all. I'm going to do what 24khotshot said and load my truck up and weight it by itself and then go form there on which trailer to go about looking at. Sounds like I will have to load the trailer lighter in the front to keep the rear axle rating down on the truck with an SRW.

5. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    That is correct the lowest number is the most important one. In addition the trailer people are able to sell their trailers rated with the weight transferred onto the tongue. For example a trailer with two 7,000 lb axles is rated at 15,000 plus due to the weight transferred to the truck. So you need to look at each axle and look at the total weight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.