Polishing a truck and the unpainted areas.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Metalicious, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I bought a polisher, and the compound bars and airway buffing wheels. I know I got everything I need to polish the aluminum wheels and tanks or whatever I want to shine up on the truck that is not painted. But what about the painted surfaces? Can the liquid compound stuff be used on painted surfaces to bring back a nice shine and buff away dullness? I guess if I don't find information really specific to this question I can find out by just doing it in an area not seen much.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I don’t know exactly what’s used on the paint but I do know it’s best to have experience with the buffer. If the paint is dead (faded out) it’ll buff up pretty good but it won’t last long at all..

The paint is quite easily burnt off with the buffer especially on edges/corners so that’s why I say experience is important. If you don’t mind screwing up the paint here and there then have at it!

Perhaps practice on the wife’s or kids car’s first :)

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’m not going to recommend what to use on the paint cuz it all varies how bad it is, I will say using a buffer on paint is like night and day to using it on aluminum. Paint uses low rpm and aluminum is high speed(grinder speed). Using high speed on paint will burn it.

5. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    It's variable speed, the polisher. Not sure if I can use grinding wheels on it or not. Looks like a grinder but its a polisher, a Makita 9237c. I remember once I bought a bottle of compound liquid that I used on a truck my old boss had (back in 2009 this was, on a 1999 FLD), and it made the paint seem better but I only had terry towels to use to try to "polish" with then.

The paint is just really faded looking. It is a black truck, so has that dull faded look like it is still kind of dirty. Or maybe it's from going to the Blue Beacon to have it washed?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  6. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    Haha. My sons shoes are his car. Guess I could get those "jordans" to looking "drip" as he says. Not sure what drip means, but it sounds dumb. Wife has a brand new car. I'd be homeless and heartless if I just tried it and messed up her car.

7. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    Try rubbing compound first by hand, then wax. You will be pleasantly surprised

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    That’s a polisher for paint. Aluminum you need like-a grinder type for speed. Aluminum and paint use different type of pads.

TX2Day, Rideandrepair and Metalicious Thank this.
  9. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    What rubbing compound in particular would you try? I thought about getting meguiars or something. Maybe turtle wax.

10. Metalicious

Sep 27, 2015
    I will show you some pics tomorrow.

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    If your wanting to bring back the shine on paint use a product called Rejuvenator and use a waffle pad on a actual buffer run the pad at 1800 to 2200 rpm it’s a mild cutting compound so read the directions ever paint job is different so you need to understand the type and condition of the paint your working with sometimes your best bet is to use a clay bar or ceramic wax it just depends on the paint condition . You also need to know if it is single stage paint or base coat clear coat if it is the later you are better off not using a cuttting compound and just try some sort of wax product you start trying to use any sort of cutting compound on paint that has a clear coat you better be on you A game cause you’ll have a
    Mess in a hurry if you burn through the clear coat

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.