Polishing a truck and the unpainted areas.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Metalicious, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    One for paint, other for aluminum.
    IMG_6114.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    Yes, he’s talking about reviving the paint.

Metalicious and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    Whatever is cheapest it’s all the same

Metalicious and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Yes but if you burn the paint you can’t sand it back down an try again, unless you want to work on paint skills as well

Metalicious, W923, Vampire and 3 others Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, like your teeth, once they're gone, they're gone, and the same goes for paint. Mostly snake oil, besides all the rage is this "patina" look these here days. Just terrible. I think all the painters have left the planet. I'm pickled tink to hear you want a shiny truck:thumbup:, does an old timers heart good. Not a lot to buff on newer trucks, the easiest way to polish wheels, if you can, is to take off the outside, you don't have to shine the inside one :tongue9:, ( if time is a problem, just do the left side, it's the side others see) and while polished tanks look awesome, they are hard to keep that way, and some wrap the tanks with that shiny SS, or mine were painted the truck color.

Metalicious, Tug Toy and Last Call Thank this.
  7. Idaho MTN Driver

Idaho MTN Driver Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2020
    upload_2024-4-20_8-23-17.png
    I have had great luck starting with 3M rubbing compound and then finishing with 3M Perfect-it EX. Expensive but works great. For my cutting/buffing/polishing pads I use Meguiars. If the image shows up the truck all looked like the cab and door - faded badly. I had just finished with the hood. Didn’t take much and the whole trucked looked like that.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    On one of my many, um, let's say, "visits" to the local scale, I got to know the Wis. troopers on a 1st name basis,,:rolleyes:, all were pretty nice, except the women. You couldn't talk to them. Seemed they all were man haters. One man trooper commented on how nice my old Pete looked. Naturally, I didn't expect that, but he said, he would be more likely to let a scofflaw like me go, because a shiny truck indicates a well taken care of truck. The truck with the rain gutter stack, mudflap battery cover, and the different colored wheels, not so much.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You know what is neat, this truck was probably some fleet truck, and NEVER saw a wash job. Strictly business, quittin' time was quittin' time. Polishing a company truck? On your time? Preposterous, we'll be at the tavern. You saved this old gal, and the T800 is without question, my favorite truck. Had I continued trucking, I was already looking at T800s, but luckily that passed. I'm proud of you, now fix the turn signal,,,,:thumbup:

10. Idaho MTN Driver

Idaho MTN Driver Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2020
    Thanks - Yes, it was an old fleet truck but sure cleaned up nice. Turn signal is flopped over and headlight bezel off so I could polish easier. And I agree - for a dump truck/log truck/mixer truck T800 is at the top.

Metalicious, Tug Toy and 201 Thank this.
  11. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    20240420_141738.jpg
    You can practice on Black Betty.

Metalicious and Vampire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.