Poll-Should I be forced to use a seat belt

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Baack, Nov 23, 2009.

Which of the following best describes your behavior?

1. *

I would wear a seat belt regardless of whether it is required by law

63.8%
  2. *

I wear a seat belt but only because it's the law

21.7%
  3. There is no seat belt law where I live but I wear it anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. There is no seat belt law where I live and I don't wear it

1.4%
  5. *

A seat belt is required by law but I still don't wear it

15.9%
  6. My truck is so old it doesnt even have seat belts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They bother the heck out of me, and I get very claustrophobic
    I have to say sometimes they distract me and really could cause a accident

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Gosh, in the Carolinas seat belt laws have been in effect for so many years that I reminisce about the days when we rebelled against the overbearing change in our lives...

The seat belts do not bother me, especially after I realized that my body could be a potential projectile to another body in the vehicle. Once I had children, I never thought twice about buckling up. It was for their safety that I was secured as well as them.

The bad aspect of our seat belt law, is that you can get pulled just because they think that you aren't wearing a seat belt. Tickets are very pricey as well. Starting at $75.00 for the first offense and will double from there.

4. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Dang Baack...that is sad. :biggrin_25525:

I had more trouble with the seat belt in a truck than I have in a car. I used a clip to hold the two straps together for a better fit. This also kept the seat belt out of my way. Have you tried anything like that to help?

Baack Thanks this.
  5. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They just made seat belt a primary pull over offense in the last 6 months in Wisconsin
    Tickets start at $10.00
    I have gotten three already but not in awhile
    Once when I was speeding the cop with a wink gave me the seat belt ticket instead

What bothered me the most is how the federal government
    Blackmailed our state into first passing the law way back when
    With the scare of holding back federal funds
    Then again the promised to hold back funds to make it a primary offense
    The majority of our state was against the law
    But we wanted the federal blackmail funds so they passed it with out the public backing
    So much for independent states of America
    We allow the federal government to tax our residents then allow them to dictate our laws by the threat of taking away state payments:biggrin_25521:

6. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just don't wear one
    14 accidents and counting:biggrin_2554:

7. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn

Stories are just that stories.They do no more to strengthen an argument than a "what if".

Simple physics will prove you are less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle accident when properly restrained from becoming ballistic.It is proven fact.All else is conjecture and irrelevant.

If you wish to share them fine.But they are no more proof than his stories of "crushing rollovers".

I do not mean to criticize you or your job.But debate's need to be based on fact.In all your stories you could relate the result.You could not relate how they were achieved.

If you argue from a basis of fact you can not lose:biggrin_25525:

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The stories I could tell are very much graphic.

You can continue to not wear the seat belts. It makes no difference to me. I have more than enough of your type to treat. Although in alot of the cases, the treatment is nil.

I am not allowed to use names and dates, but I assure you, I live with the pictures in my mind.

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  9. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    http://www.i2i.org/main/article.php?article_id=550

10. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn

I would humbly suggest a course in reading comprehension.No where did I state or imply I do not utilize a seat belt.In fact I stated it was scientific fact that they improved your safety.

What I did state that while your stories may be graphic, bloody scenes of the macabre.They do not reinforce your argument any more than the other posters claim that his ex-wife died due to roll over.Those are conjecture and not valid proof.Anyone can make up a story designed to fit their agenda.

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I can tell stories both ways. However, when you look at the big picture, seat belts have saved lives.

Do they in all cases, NO.
    Would they have in other cases, Maybe.

The ones that stick in your mind, are the ones, that MAYBE, if they had been wearing it, they would be here today.

It comes down, that YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID.

When I made the comment about you can continue to not wear seat belts or not, I still feel the same way.

I do not care whether you wear yours or not. I will not try to change your mind. This comment is not just aimed at you, but any who choose not to.

It is a choice I made along time ago, after I struck a windshield in a slow accident.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.