Poor braking

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by CARL HINKSON, Apr 21, 2017.

1. CARL HINKSON

CARL HINKSON Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Reread all my posts the pressures have been checked against the applied pressure gauge on the dash to the air supply at the air cans and its with in 2 pounds.

No problem getting 60 pounds to the chambers ( air cans ).

Marathon brakes tech said with 25 pounds of air to the air cans and having my truck empty should lock the wheels up or go into anti lock which is not happening.

To get into anti lock with an empty truck that weighs 27200 I have to apply appox. 50 pounds of air to the air cans. Now add 22 ton or material to equation. This truck will not stop. Which is my complaint.

I either have an S-cam issue who knows the left maybe on the right and the right S-cam maybe on the left who knows.

Or I have an issue with the air cans.

So far air supply to the cans is correct but I have no idea how much force is being generated to the slack adjuster and S-cams to force the shoes out to the drums.

A little more home work I should be able to come up with an answer.

Thanks again for the replies.

Carl

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just for ##### 'n giggles, when unloaded have you tried popping the yellow valve while moving in a large, empty parking lot? Obviously at a low rate of speed so you don't lose control. Doing that should give you about the equivillent of 60-90 PSI on the service brakes. If that locks up the drives or feels more powerful than braking with the pedal, the foundation side of your brakes are likely fine and your issue is ABS or air related. If the braking power is just as crappy, you most likely have a mechanical issue in the foundation side.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I know this was mentioned already but 9/10 times mechanics overlook the simple stuff. What is the applied stroke on the chambers? I have seen trucks where the pushrods were cut too short, which makes the auto slacks adjust them with too much chamber stroke. Drums heat up and expand and brake fade occurs. Properly adjusted I believe should be 1.5"-1.75". Standard chamber stroke is I believe 2.5".

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Reason for edit: Didn't drink my coffee yet
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    How much psi do you get on your pusher brakes?

Has anyone disconnected a slackajuster from the aircan and moved it by hand?(to see if you don't lose force there)

Can you fit bigger diameter cans on your brakes?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Maybe worth a shot if you can find a good place to try it and willing to....
    Get up to around 15 and apply parking brake the springs should be applying enough pressure to lock you up... Could let you know if it's a air issue mechanical

Nevermind see @NorthernMechanic beat me to it

x1Heavy and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The idea of spring braking being crappy scares me. A truck factory will have to be seriously incompetent bordering on sabotage if you cannot get spring brakes to essentially lock everything down.

I wonder if the ABS senses air pressure only or does it use what I consider to be more accurate rotational wheel information combined with possibly even a downward firing radar device designed to proved your ABS system knowledge of road speed actual. So that if one or more wheels lock up and radar shows you moving along at 50 or whatever then it's time for it to use the ABS.

My post here is a simple wandering post thinking out loud. Cams are beginning to make some sense and I resist the idea that the push rods are too short. Surely the factory that built the beautiful truck are not that stupid? (Im not insulting, Im simply expressing choosing a word closest to a mental lack of thinking required to build trucks properly so that the freaking thing will stop.)

8. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017

I already checked the air pressure at the air can whiled the truck was moving, Same pressure as the applied pressure gauge on the dash.

Its nothing to do with the ABS its between where the supply hose screws on the can to the brake shoes. which is the air cans and the slack adjusters and he S-cams.

Peterbilt does not want anything to do with this for some reason, I am going to have my law firm get after them.

Like I have said before the truck has really never had really good brakes but figured that out when I drove another truck with real brakes.

Last couple of days I have driven other trucks in the parking lot while on hold at the paving plant. These other trucks you just breath on the brake pedal and they stop on a dime.

The interesting thing is Kenworth has a truck with the same problem so it has to be something stupid.

Carl

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. CARL HINKSON

Apr 21, 2017
    Well since I have had the new shoes and drums no big change to braking but here are some pics of the shoes after 29000 miles, They don't seem to hitting every where.

Went to the dealership Monday and tried out a used Tri-axle that stopped great compared to my truck. then tried out a 389 tractor with an air application gauge at 25 pounds it would lock up the wheels or should I say go into anti-lock where my truck takes 50 pounds to get into anti-lock. Now I have there attention and Bendix rep called me concerned now that I have better drums and shoes and the same affect. Also the Peterbilt Reps have been notified about this problem.

Also I think the pusher axle and front axle are doing all the work right now I don't think the drive axles look like they are doing much.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I'm amazed they can't figure it out.

Mine has disc brakes and stops on a dime.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Curvature. Not enough contact with drums. You think there would be contact end to end across the pad.

You must have huge drums on that truck. Do drums come in different sizes maybe? It's a new truck. Sorta...

Ok accepting the fact you can stop at 25 psi and generate a hard stop.

I remembered something... from the ashes of long ago trucking.

I wonder if the axles in your truck to which your wheels, drums are attached to at the hubs are rotating forward when you are stopping, robbing your entire rig of stopping power by coming off the brake pads trying to apply braking pressure? Or actually the axles are hung from your body and frame and rotating itself on each one back there trying to stop and robbing the contact area the pads are trying to achieve?

Bad air ride suspension ride height adjustment maybe? or something else?

Im just thinking out loud. But this is really something. What a mystery.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.