Portable generator on truck??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by noguns3, May 10, 2011.

1. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    After reading your post, I'm assuming you do not understand semi trucks very much? Removing accessories from a 15 liter diesel engine will have little effect on its efficiency.

Hurst

Terry270 Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    All those things combined draw very little horsepower compared to what is required to make the truck move at a given speed. I can see an increase; but not more than maybe 10% at best. Likely not worth the effort.

5. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    I remember reading a post and for a loaded Freightliner Cascadia to go 65mph at 80klbs on flat ground required sub 100hp if I recall correctly.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    From cummins white paper:
    Screenshot_20170117-192659.png
    I believe it to be true, just judging from my own experience it takes around 200-250 depending how much wind you are fighting. The aero truck probably closer to 200 while the square truck more like 250.

I am finding there is more to it than just setting the cruise at a given speed. If I keep my foot at say 40% down and let the speed vary a few mph above/below say 62, I get .5 to 1.0 mpg better .... the cruise as it is setup now is very aggressive if vehicle speed dips below set speed..

Hurst, Terry270 and Liquidforce Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I live on cruise control most of the time. I dont know for certain if mine is considered set aggressive or timid.

Mine will fluctuate 10 mph +/- depending on the grade. Anything more than 2% and I need to put my foot down to give it more power. So I guess mine is not that aggressive. Probably why I do so well with fuel mileage (For a CAT).

I suck at maintaining a steady speed with my foot. Best way I can describe it is that I have a heavy foot. Always catch myself going faster than I want when not on cruise control.

Hurst

Terry270, fargonaz and scottied67 Thank this.
  8. Luis Orama

Luis Orama Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2018
    I have a Honda 2800 to my portable ac 1100btu inside truck. The Honda sits inside a 24x24 toolbox with some extra holes in it. I have a 6 gallon gas sitting in another box. Every 2 gallons gets me 10 hours plus 32” tv. I’ve been running it like crazy for 2 years summers mainly and works like a charm.

Skate-Board and scottied67 Thank this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A/C is temporarily out in our house until a new central unit gets installed sometime next week. We have an LG model # LP1017WSR unit that's 10,200 BTU adequate for a part of the house doing a good job actually for what it is. The unit is a single air intake hose. It has a reservoir and if it ever needs draining the unit will shut off until you drain about 2 pints of water out of it. So far in 6 days of running continuously at 60* it has not needed draining yet. It recycles the condensation somehow so drainage is minimal. It only cost $360 and works great of course you dont really need 10,200 BTU's for a truck cab so an adequate unit would be much cheaper. A lot of guys in these hill billy APU threads have said the single hose units are no good. I can't see why it won't work. Maybe it is the unit they have tried?

10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I had to do the same thing a couple weeks ago. The ac unit I bought was 12k btu and also “drain free”. I figured out after two days that it does a lot better if you rig up a drain. It will pull just under five gallons of water in about eight hours.

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I cant believe this one hasn't needed draining. It has an automatic shut off if the water bottle gets full and wont run if it needs draining but 6 days and going hasn't been drained yet. Cools like a champ too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.