Portland Orientation

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by harley9779, Oct 18, 2022.

1. harley9779

harley9779 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2022
    First post here. I accepted an offer with Schneider for a dedicated local route (GMSPO). M-F, nights, delivering auto parts.
    I am a new CDL holder with no experience. I am headed to Portland soon for orientation. I've read a ton of forums here and on other sites and still have a few questions.

1. The recruiter said the training is 18 days. Is that straight through, or are there days off?
    2. I was hired for a local, home daily route. Will my training be similar or OTR? The recruiter only said they would try to get me with a similar route.
    3. The email says I need boot stamped with "slip and oil resistant". I own boots that have this rating but do not have the stamp. Is the stamp important? I am half inclined to purchase their $50 boots.
    4. How strict are they about riding the bus from the hotel to the orientation? I would prefer to drive myself.
    5. It looks like only tanker and flatbed are required to wear long pants? Am I correct in this?
    6. Based on the forums, the hotel is single occupancy. Is this true?

I am in my early 40s, prior military. I understand I am new to this industry and have to pay my dues, but at the same time, I'm not a snot nosed kid fresh out of high school. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    I went through Green Bay in early 2019.
    It was 14 days,classroom and yard training,and driving city and highway,then 4 days OTR.Everyone rode the bus,we stopped at a second hotel to pick up the owner operator drivers every day,I don't think anyone drove their own vehicles,unless they missed the bus..
    There's a lot of practice in the yard,pre trip,hooking,unhooking,backing into parking spaces.The training is very good.We started with 12 in our class,only 4 completed orientation.
    There was 2 drivers per room before covid,don't know what they're doing now but you could get a room for yourself but had to pay for it yourself.
    They will check your boots the first day,see if they are acceptable.
    All the instructors at Green Bay were very good drivers,a lot of experience and good at explaining each task they wanted you to do.

harley9779 Thanks this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    1. orientaion was a week there home for a weekend then out with te for a week or so for finishing then back for a week to test out. pass and you have the job.

2. if its same or similar you will need to restart hours for account needs. so yes days off, minimum of 34 hrs. the accounts I ran while with Sni were more like 60 hr range. what those days are would be dictated by that specific trainer and account.

3. boot rating should be on the tongue tag. Ask on arrival. if you get the boots, its payroll deduction. for that pair. after. annual allowance.

4. might be considered on duty time. ride the shuttle first day and ask.

5. out on the job shorts are fine. but again account dependent. one plant I went to regularly required pants.

6. since covid I believe thats the deal now.

@gentleroger

JOHNQPUBLIC and harley9779 Thank this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @harley9779 --

Since you're former military--you will probably do just fine.

Welcome to "Sink or Swim" Transport!!! :p:D

--Lual

snowmantrucking101 and harley9779 Thank this.
  6. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    1..Yes, you have off days.
    2..More than likely, OTR.
    3..Buy their shoes. Cuts down on their crying, and yes - must be stamped.
    4..Drive yourself.
    5..Verify clothing guidelines.
    6..Hotel, depends if they have switched to pre covid.

Also, verify 2 - 3 times what they tell you about travel & accomadations. People have went & left for certain reasons due to Schneider negligence.

gentleroger and harley9779 Thank this.
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Where will you be driving?

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    1.) You'll have two weeks at a training facility, then a week on the road, then you're own truck presuming you pass each phase. You will have a 34 each week.

2.) Odds are that you'll be otr for time with your TE. If a local TE is available, they will prioritize getting you with him, but you take what's available.

3.) If you can't prove your boots are 'oil and slip resistant' you will have to buy their boots. If it's not on the sole, having a print out of the type of boot you have will work.

4.) You can drive yourself, but don't except to be reimbursed for the gas. Yes, there are people who insist they should be reimbursed for the use of their POV when transportation was provided.

5.) If temps are over 80 degrees and more than 50% of your day is spent outside, shorts are acceptable provided they are not 'athletic shorts' - ie denim or khaki.

6.) Covid is over, double occupancy.

9. harley9779

harley9779 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2022

Phoenix

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  10. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    Welcome to the #### show, a drivers license is like kryptonite in Arizona. These people are hopeless.

11. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    When I did orientation with Schneider, I got my own hotel room and paid the difference out of my own pocket.

You don't want to share a motel room with someone you never met. USA truck used to put 4-5 guys to a room, people sleeping on the floor, guys walking in unannounced in the middle of the night. I caught chicken pox from one of my roomates.

Schneider conducts nationwide criminal background checks on their drivers before they hire them, but some of the other companies have police walk into orientation and arrest guys on outstanding murder warrants . The news stories exist.LOL

Also, companies won't tell you if there is a Hepatitis A or scabies outbreak at their terminals, so handwashing is a must.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.