Possible DUI

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Artist360, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Artist360

Artist360 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2022
    I'm a cdl b driver that had an accident in my truck. The other person had to get towed. They gave me a drug test but no alcohol test. I didn't know they had to give me one since a vehicle was towed. I admit that I wa under the influence. I have a court date later in the year.

Should I admit to my employer that you and I didn't know the Alcohol test should have been done? or should I just ride it out and act like I didn't know.

Another Canadian driver and flood Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    You should give up your CDL and find another job. We don't need people who are going to be drunk and driving in this industry.

4. Artist360

Artist360 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2022
    I will. Was looking at a way to lessen the impact.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You should not post another word about this in public, and consult an attorney.

6. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep quiet and ride it out as if you didn't know.
    Don't tell your boss. Don't tell anyone.
    You may need that cdl someday so don't throw it away.
    Post #4 by @Dave_in_AZ is the best advice.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    If audited over the next 5 years; that carrier would be fined if it was discovered as they reviewed the Drug and Alcohol records.

I had one where we ordered both tests, post accident, and the clinic failed to do the BAC.

Turns out he tested positive for Cocaine and in that hubub we missed the lack of the BAC.

Unfortunately the auditor DID notice it to the tune of $6,000.00

Nothing was mentioned regarding the individual driver so OP should not have a problem UNLESS his court date is over the 'possible' DUI and not the actual accident.

If the accident includes a DUI; his companies insurance might get ugly about defending him.

About that positive 'post accident' individual; years before the clearinghouse, I told his terminal manager that this was going on his DAC termination and I understood that he was still going to find employment.

Couple years later his wife was on the phone yelling and screaming about his positive test after he attempted to change jobs and his DAC record was still active, must have been a 'good' position after working at a crappy place.

I was on the road and she never called back.

I doubt she would have been able to get the required written permission from her husband that was needed to share his results.

He rear-ended 5 cars pushing one out into on coming traffic and one motorist was a person who had undergone spinal fusion.

The insurance payout was almost $700K.

9. Tumbleweed TowMan

Tumbleweed TowMan Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2022
    As a man that often has to upright vehicles and help medics drag the dead bodies out, while the dui driver has just a couple of scratches, I say to you ......

Get the hell off my roads !!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Rough crowd.

to the op, the cops can charge you based on admission.

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    What truck? Your pickup truck, or a commercial truck?

The only reason I ask is I feel it's stupid that as a CDL holder, the legal limit for alcohol is half of everyone else's. Even in my personal vehicle. I think it's discrimination.

Now, behind the wheel in a CMV, it should absolutely be zero tolerance for any alcohol or other drugs.

I'm certainly not advocating for anyone to be able to drive drunk. But too many times I've been to dinner and had a single drink, and wonder if I'm legal to drive my car home. I don't take the chance, I get someone to drive. It's crazy to me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.