Possible for an older driver to break in?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Possible Future Trucker, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Chinatown always amazes me.

He knows right where to send you for whatever kind of job you're looking for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Possible Future Trucker

Possible Future Trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I'm living in the Orlando, Florida area. Pretty little town to the west called Ocoee. Good news is I'm in really good health (knock wood) and I did all the drugs I ever need to do in my youth...the leafy kind. Heck, I don't even drink.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Freymiller hires new cdl school graduates in Orlando area and has tuition reimbursement.
    CTL Transportation hires new grads. Need all the endorsements.
    MCT Transportation runs coast to coast.
    CFI www.cfidrive.com hires new grads or can attend their in-house cdl school.
    Transport America probably hires in Orlando.
    Milan Express
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) has a terminal in Winterhaven.
    Schneider Bulk - tankers

5. Possible Future Trucker

Jun 11, 2018
    Wow! I can't thank you folks enough for the replies. A big part of the reason I ask is because it appears there is a cost to get started in this work, $3-$5,000 from what I can see to do a trucker school, get the CDL, etc. I'm guessing the physical and drug test are on top of that so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. Gotta say, I love to drive and always have. Some of my best memories are cross-country drives in the old days, "a carton o' smokes, a thermos of coffee, full tank o' Texaco Sky Chief and I'm outa here!" I drive a manual trans car and I'm out on my motorcycle regularly. Driving is what I already do for pleasure. I'm thinking it would be great if I could earn some extra money doing it too. And I know it'll be different, that's why they call it work but so far, it's looking like a good option for me.
    PMDriver, really appreciate your cautions. All valid stuff to think about...and I will.
    Again, to all who replied, please keep 'em coming. I genuinely appreciate your input.

6. Possible Future Trucker

Jun 11, 2018
    Thank you sir! I will check these folks out. Really appreciate your input.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies will reimburse the tuition back to you in monthly installments. That's a question you can ask when you contact companies. Most of those on that list I posted reimburse tuition.

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Have you looked into the different types of trucking to see what you would like to do?

Tanker flatbed reefer van local OTR Regional?

There really are a lot of options in this business.

You also can go through a community college course if there's one near you that offers CDL training. It's much less expensive.

I wish you good luck. You sound like you'd be a good addition to the industry.

9. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    To the OP, the answer is YES! This is a career you could do and possibly enjoy a lot. My advice is stay away from CR England, Swift, and all the other super mega trucking companies. You could ruin it all by going there. I suggest bringing any questions and ideas you have right here. Then take all answers with a grain of salt. I have learned so much about this industry by asking questions from unbiased sources right here.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They accept ComData too!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Especially on all threads started by da Cat. :rolleyes:

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.