Possible Restriction On My Medical Card, will I pass the physical?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Queenlizo, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Queenlizo

Queenlizo Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Hi all,

I’m in the process of seeing if I can get a medical card with the medications that I have to take. Then I’m going to start with a company-sponsored CDL class.

I saw my doctor today, and he’s going to give me a medical clearance letter that directly says that I have to sleep for 8 hours straight every night. If I can’t pass the DOT physical without the medical clearance, and I have that restriction, is that going to affect my career? Will companies not hire me because of that?

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I wouldnt see why they wouldnt hire you,, it depends what medicine it is though,.. Just be upfront with ur company about everything you are taking and make sure you are good..

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I suggest you find another line of work. Company paid school means OTR. You are never going to get by with that one!

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. SuperRookie

SuperRookie Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Eton, GA
    That could prove to be extremely difficult to accomplish as a CDL driver in general. Not saying that it is impossible, but the schedule that you will most likely be running no matter what carrier you decide to go with, just may not allow you to get at least 8hours sleep at a time. I can't speak for sure as i'm just now getting back into the industry, but last time I drove, it was very difficult to achieve this feat. The real problem I can see with your issue is the fact that you are probably on a medication that may make you groggy even after you get your sleep. This could be extremely dangerous when your behind the wheel of an 80,000lb vehicle. I could see many insurances not wanting that liability. Now don't get me wrong i'm not ruling this out for you or saying it is impossible for you do do truck driving, just saying it could prove to be very difficult to find a company that will allow you to get the rest you need and still be a safe driver.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    But now i think of it..The last time i got 8 hrs of sleep was probably before i had a class a license

Joetro, WesternPlains and SuperRookie Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's not like the old days on paper logs.
    You'll be off over 8 hours a day.
    Don't know if a company will hire you or not if you're on some type of sleep medication.
    Maybe some local outfit where you're home every day.
    Where is your location; state & nearest city/town.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You get 10 hours off every night. So it's up to you make sure you get the sleep you need. Never heard of a doctor saying someone has to have 8 hours of sleep. Sleep apnea is only 4 hours a night to be compliant.

D.Tibbitt and SuperRookie Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I thought the same thing until I read the OPs post again. That was 8 hours a NIGHT! This is not going to happen with company paid CDL.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, may be night sleeping and may be day sleeping.

WesternPlains and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Queenlizo

Queenlizo Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    I’m on a type of antidepressant that helps me get deep sleep, but it’s not specifically banned like Ambien. I’ve been on it for 20 years and have no grogginess when I wake up. My doctor was very confident about me driving, as long as I can sleep for at least 8 hours.

I’m in Southern California, near Fontana. There are so many trucking jobs here that I won’t have any type of problem getting any job I want. The problem is, I don’t have the money to pay for CDL school.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.