Possible to register truck at lower weight?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Thetrashnoob, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Thetrashnoob

Thetrashnoob Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Again I know that, but it’s easier to do the class and get it over with..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The regs state gross vehicle weight rating, not gross registered weight rating.

It's fine to register for less to save on fees. It's not fine to register for less to get around the CDL requirements.

Just stop stating you don't have time, when you can get the class b over a free weekend. You know, the time you have to do the side hustle, just take the first "trip" and instead do it right.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    You need cdl for that truck no matter the registered weight. They make 26000 dump trucks.

5. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    Again, I want to get my class a, which cannot he done over a weekend, the class is 4 plus weeks long.

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    At the risk of piling on, that is not so. Buy the truck, get your learners permit, take the test in the truck.

When I took my test, I was a farm truck, never took a class, lesson, anything. Just read the book, studied the pre trip thingy, and drive the truck to the independent examiner’s shop. Got one demerit on the test.

ZVar Thanks this.
  7. Thetrashnoob

May 30, 2019
    I
    As I know that is the viable and cheaper options, I would prefer to take the class. If I buy the truck I need someone with a cdl in the cab with me to be able to drive it. That’s more hassle than it’s worth.

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    LTL Dump truck. That's a new one. Most places want you to pull more than the registered weight.

9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    If I’m not mistaken, if the truck has air brakes you need a cell regardless of the registered weight.

10. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Some of the trucks at my company are registered at 60k. I didn’t even knew that until my truck was in shop and had to take 60k truck. I had to refuse 35k load because it would put me over 60k. If I was 65k gross (5k over gross) would I still get $5,000 ticket? Assuming it’s $1 per pound?

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Not a buck a pound everywhere but it still wouldn't be good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.