Possibly the worst turn (at store location) in America

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by Vito, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    So I'm back to doing Walmart dedicated for the next few weeks. It's a decent gig with steady income. The only problem is, some of the store locations can be challenging to say the least. Tight store deliveries in NJ and Long Island. Well this one tops them all...

Ever been to the Uniondale NY store (Long Island)? It's easy enough to get in to but a real SOB to get out of, thanks to the hazards. On the directions to the store it says "Please use extreme caution behind store, very tight!!!" It documents the hazards as "Concrete Wall", "Extremely Tight Turn", and "Watch transformer and curbing". What you realize once you start to make the left turn to exit is that the concrete wall, the tightness, and the transformer with the curbing are ALL IN THE SAME LOCATION. No wonder the directions also tell you "This store is a true test of your professionalism."

Well it was. I'm not embarrassed to say that it took me about 30 minutes to make the turn with a 48 foot trailer (53's are not to be taken to this store). I got out and looked probably about a dozen times. I paced off distances and marked the ground with pieces of paper. All this so that I could ride the wall (to the right) as close as possible without scraping my fender. And even after playing chicken with this wall, coming within about 10-12 inches away from it, and after setting up for the turn way in advance, I still only had a few inches to spare, making sure the trailer didn't hit the concrete pylon to the left.

Oh yeah. And after not making the turn the first time and stopping, it took me 10 minutes to back out of it. Then I set up REAL CLOSE to the wall after moving the tandems all the way forward on the 48. After all this I still had only a few inches to clear.

What I want to know is, what sick mind decides to put a transformer right there in an already tight turn? There is something wrong with the person who designed this exit.

This place tops the list for the most difficult driving I've ever done. And here it is I've seen some ridiculously difficult backs in different places throughout the country, but this "going forward turn" tops the list as the biggest PITA and DUMBEST design one could imagine. I can't imagine anywhere being as bad as getting out of the Uniondale store.

Maybe I should have put this under the "rant" section. LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
  4. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Congrats on a job well done Vito. I know what your talking about. Even before I worked for Wal~mart I had been to that store for the containers that are behind it. That store 2583 has been there for some years but yes, who ever designed it, needs a quick swift kick in the butt. We have some hard stores here in TX as well. Got a bunch of Neighborhood Markets that are small and tight to get in and out of. Around Bentonville and other locations in the country they have even smaller stores called Wal~mart Express. About the size of a convenience store. No place for sleeper trucks and 53's as well.

Chewey, Vito and mike5511 Thank this.
  5. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Is this the store, Vito? (btw, no, never been there myself)
    If so, I took a guess at the transformer and circled it in red. Was I correct?
    (click pic banner for enlarged view)

[​IMG]

Vito Thanks this.
  6. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    In general, I've found most of the walmarts in NJ spacious compared to Shop Rite and Pathmarks. Good driving though.

Vito Thanks this.
  7. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina

Yes! That is the one! Just look at that tight turn with the transformer right there. Ugh

The Walmart is the store on the right. Note the one trailer in the dock. I've been told this is a hard dock to back into, but I had no problem with the 48. But you still have to be careful because of the wall in front. The same wall that makes the left turn by the transformer possibly the worst left turn in America.

I was talking to a guy who delivered to this store 3 times. Another Arnold driver. He's been driving for 29 years. He told me that in his opinion, yes, this is one of the worst turns he's ever had to negotiate. The other was in Alabama somewhere. I feel kinda proud of myself for making this ridiculous turn without putting a scratch on my truck or the trailer.

8. grabberblue12

grabberblue12 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    between here and there

been there several times feel your pain... its a setup for failure from the start. I drop my loaded trailer pull the empty back it tight in the corner. put the loaded in hook to empty and go out the same way you come in.... screw the one way its the safest way out.....

I went out behind the store one time in the dark and never again will I do that.

Vito Thanks this.
  9. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do next time, go out the way I came in. It really is the safer way to get out.

10. NYVET

NYVET Medium Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Springville NY
    My first time here was with JB Hunt while doing the dedicated out of Johnstown NY. 8 months driving under my belt. And it was at night. It was a horrible experience.

Last time was a month ago with Walmart, what a difference 7 years makes! Had no problem. The trick is to PURPOSELY ride up and over the curb by the transformer (stupid place for it). This store was not originally a Walmart, that's one big
    reason why it's such a bad design. But it's definitely an achievement to have conquered the dreaded Uniondale!

Vito Thanks this.
  11. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    I can't remember what that store used to be before it was a walmart. Possibly an older grocery store, an old k-mart lol. Heck when I started driving a car it was a wal~mart already I believe and that was back in 97'. Someone will remember.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.