Posting For Good and Bad Brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by khenders, Oct 30, 2007.

1. nfn3vet

nfn3vet Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Des Moines, IA
    TMC LOGISTICS MC 270920 DES MOINES IA. This is the logistics arm for TMC Transportation. You know the fancy black and chrome Petes out of IA. Their logistics dept is top notched and really go out of the way for the carriers and drivers. They even took their south eastern region and split it up to be able to give more focus to carriers and customers alike in the MS,AL,TN,& LA areas. And of course as big as they are (I think I heard 2600 trucks) they have brokers for the whole country. They're just a real personable group. Been dealing with them for almost 6 yrs

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bogi

Bogi Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    OK, I get paid yesterday, on 85th day :(

4. jimmycrackcorn56

jimmycrackcorn56 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Bullhead City,Arizona
    Hello,Name is James from Arizona, U.S.Army Veteran 1977-1984,Medic/EMT.

I am an older Veteran,I lost my job as a Class B Trash truck driver,I have drove busies.Never been over the road other than visiting our Daughter & grand kids In Spokane,Wash.
    I recently sign up for a class to become a Freight agent.I have read the good & bad about It & also I need the work.I was hoping to be able to connect with a truck driver who knows
    about dealing with these people to enlighten me what they need from an Agent or broker.I believe If you can give me a chance,we can work together.I'll be honest with you,

Thank you, Jim

5. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Can you muster the bond requirement?

James, anything is possible, sir. You can do it if you won't accept any other result than success. However, there are many things you could do to help yourself be successful with much less capital expenditures and heartache. I'd recommend that you get into the industry on someone else's dime first. Let them teach you how it's done, and pay for your mistakes during that process. Ideally, you could go trucking for a few months or half year, and deal with the agents on the other end of the phone. Is that a lot to ask? Sure. But it would really prepare you for going to the desk and *really* providing the customer and carrier with what they both need, and making some money for yourself, too. Without a perspective from behind the wheel, you're going to learn from telephone conversations, gossip, and lunch-counter tales which will quite possibly misinform you. One way could be to get your CDL and find an owner operator looking to team, and will teach you how to negotiate with brokers on loads. That's probably the best experience you can get when it comes to understanding the carrier, what he needs, and what he'll do to get it.

But, alas, if that's not possible, the next choice in my opinion would be to take some training classes, like you're doing, on freight brokering, and general business management. Both can most likely be found at your local community college, and / or online. Check with your local SBA (Small business administration) for not only leads to this type of training, but also financial assistance, which you probably qualify for being a veteran.

Nothing's impossible, sir.

Good luck and welcome to TTR.

6. jimmycrackcorn56

Jan 30, 2014
    Bullhead City,Arizona
    Also Can i get a operational authority & get Insurance later before I do any business.

7. wcurtin1962

wcurtin1962 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I spent the last few days reading thru this thread between working on stuff at the house. You people have taught me a ton of valuable information and saved me a lot of pain. Thank you.

AfterShock and rollin coal Thank this.
  8. bizzzzzz1

bizzzzzz1 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Yes sir you can do that!

9. jimmycrackcorn56

Jan 30, 2014
    Bullhead City,Arizona
    Hey bizzzzzz1,I never posted: "Also Can i get a operational authority & get Insurance later before I do any business."

Don't know who did.

10. bizzzzzz1

bizzzzzz1 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Hmmm, change pass maybe

11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    I read what'cha wrote, wcurtin. :study:
    Then I read it again. :read2:
    I gotta say ThanX, --- with an explanation. :smt045
    My ThanX aren't an attempt to claim any credit for the ton of valuable information you found here,
    nor am I responsible for the pain that ton-0-valuable information saved you from experiencin'. :biggrin_25512:

Truth be knowed, when it comes to pain, more'n likely I am just that, --- a pain in the buttox.
    :smt108
    Or, so I've been informed, ..... on more than a few occasions.
    :laughing4:
    My ThanX are for you takin' the time to acknowledge those TTR members who contribute their expertise unselfishly, just for the askin'.
    So, ...... as for me?, ..... my day is made when I read success stories and satisfied stories. It doesn't matter to me who-all provides the answers and/or advice to those who ask, --- the good vibes feel the same.
    But, sometimes we don't know how things turned out 'cause the poster takes the information and runs.
    :frown:
    No good-bye, :hello2:no thank you for the effort,
    :smt108no progress report.:dontknow:
    Bummers!:sad1:
    After awhile we get used to that though, which makes posts by folks like you even more appreciated than you may realize. :-D
    And for that, I remove my well worn, official NASCAR cap, as I stand at attention and offer up my snappiest and most sincere, salute. :salute:

9ge Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.