Potential Driver Left Drug Test....Now What!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 68Goat, Jan 18, 2021.

1. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    None of that is relevant to the employer as only statements made directly to the employer by the applicant constitute "direct knowledge" which he/she is required to report.

Also, a sample being outside of temp parameters is something the testing facility reports, not the employer. They can either report it as a "substituted" sample or cancel the testing. Being a pre-hire, they will most likely cancel the testing and charge the employer, NOT report it as a "substituted" sample. If he has been an employee, they most likely would report it differently, i.e. "substituted sample".

And, none of that qualifies as a "refusal" per a cursory reading of the regs related to what constitutes a refusal and the pre-hire, "contingency" exemption.

There simply isn't enough there for the employer to report a "refusal" on the pre-hire. In fact, the employer could be subject to litigation for knowingly and falsely reporting a "refusal".

What the testing facility does is up to them. They have "direct knowledge" and a manager there would know the regs as well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    X2
    Was gonna say the same thing...

truckguy391, buddyd157 and homeskillet Thank this.
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Since he already gave a sample the cross examination would blow that statement out of the water. Nice try though. :rolleyes:

buddyd157 and homeskillet Thank this.
  5. tlalokay

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    The simplest and easiest answer to that is: "It is winter. I was cold and so was the room. I took longer cleaning up afterwards than I should have and the sample came out cold. Then, I didn't have enough ammo to keep aiming at the cup and I didn't have time to stay until I did. So, I left."

That is perfectly reasonable and eliminates all the "drug use" assumptions on this thread.

6. tlalokay

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Not according to the law. Maybe on reruns of Matlock. Providing a sample does not constitute "acceptance of a contingent job offer" as the regs clearly exempt a pre-hire from the automatic refusal clause for leaving a facility before completing the testing process.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    No. According to the law.

"If you didn't have a contingent job offer. Why did you supply the first sample? Why when confronted with the sample being out of spec and informed a supervised sample would need to be taken did you flee the testing facility?"

"I have performance issues being watched?"

Judgement in favor of the truck company.

As the OP has said. Job was only contingent the drug test.

So as you've stated it is a refusal.
    He doesn't have to accept the offer. There just has to be an offer.

buddyd157, ZVar and T.Rucker Thank this.
  8. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    One might give you the same advise.

"(2) Fail to remain at the testing site until the testing process is complete; Provided, That an employee who leaves the testing site before the testing process commences (see §40.243(a)) for a pre-employment test is not deemed to have refused to test;"

From the original post it is clear that the test had indeed already commenced. The test subject was caught cheating at it.

9. T.Rucker

T.Rucker Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Here and there…
    Yeah...nope. If that was the case why isn’t he returning calls or texts? If it was truly an innocent mistake he wouldn’t be avoiding the phone/texts etc. He ran...if he “didn’t have enough ammo” they give you a cup of water and let you reload....

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I believe that if you dont report it you would be in violation of an FMCSA regulation requiring you to report this to the Drug and Alcohol Clearing House.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I don't believe this would be considered a refusal to test... I think it would be considered a failed test, after all he did provide a sample... And said sample FAILED to meet the tests requirements.

Wasted Thyme and T.Rucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.