power only load ?s

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 2hellandback, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2hellandback

2hellandback Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    There are some power only loads in my area and was wondering if any of you have done these before.

What do they supply and what do i supply im leased onto an oilfield co. and things are slow and i and a friend are thinking of teaming up and doing these for extra work/income

such as cargo ins, , trailer ins ,permits etc. We are curious about how power only loads work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    I've done a few. I always figure my miles from home to delivery point to home as chances of finding a load back are slim to none. There are some companies that do nothing but this but they are really slow right now due to the economy eg: new trailer transporting. I've always had to supply the insurance and pay for permits. Had a few where tie down equipment was required. Make sure it is specified in the contract who is responsible for repairs. Bad tires and light problems are common.

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    most of them don't pay a whole lot and you have allot of deadhead obviously.
    and you need to be equiped to haul any type of trailer. so you end up with ALLOT of equipment on board

5. 2hellandback

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    Well that was a joke called them 800.00 one way nothing for dead head back ,,,627 miles.Lady said they had no problems finding takers.They need to rename these load boards tooooo Joke boards!!!!!

6. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    I've never done a PO load, but I do look at them on the boards from time to time. 6 months ago, there would commonly be 750 on any given day. Today there are just over 200 as I type this.

7. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

I've worked for a lady who use to do power only loads, and they were losing big time, and went on to lease the truck on to otehr companies, but it was to late, they went under 9 weeks after I started to work for them.

8. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I can see why they went broke at those rates.

9. HBTRUX

HBTRUX Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Blairsville,Ga
    Well i've read all the comments about power only business. and judging from what i've read !! if this is how the other power only companies are doing business then I guess I'll be the only one left in time.. When i accept a Run either Power only or Load out trailers I take in to fact of where is it going? How far is it to the next Job? what weather or other things involved. Just like any other type of frieght I have to plan. if you were going to run a load of bananas to New jersey from houston would you do it for a 1.10 per mile? NO you wouldn't because you or your company already Know the truck to load is in favour of the shippers. and therefore your going to get a #### rate out of the area. well Power only is the same. If i am going to go to a area where i will have to bobtail 300 miles to get another trailer I'm charging some cash. and many times i will charge bobtail miles and they will pay in most cases. However POWER ONLY AND LOADOUT are two different things. Power only is just moving an empty trailer or a equipment trailer or such. A loadout trailer is this Example you bought a new or used trailer from a dealer or such. you hire me to bring it to you. You either pay my power only rate (NOT CHEAP) or give me permission to load the trailer with frieght. If you choose to allow me to load the trailer I will only charge a small fee, my rate is 250 per time zone but i also discount this if the freight is paying well, the better the frieght pays the less you pay. however since i can load the trailer i then am at the mercey of the freight and you must be patient with the time frame to get it to you.
    some power only companies though will go all over the place with loads I do NOT do this i will only accept loads going in the general direction of where the trailer is to be delivered. Example: I pick up a load out trailer in knoxville,tn to be delivered in jacksoville,fl I will not take a load going to oregon wrong way !!! but some other folks will do this.
    There is Money to be made in power only/loadout trailers but you have to plan and charge accordly, I am not out here to run for drinking money nor for free.

slowpoke69 Thanks this.
  10. 2hellandback

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
    Anyone here do the power only thing?

11. 2hellandback

Dec 19, 2007
    Blackfoot Idaho
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.