Practical Miles vs Hub Miles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Korodoch, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Why not? It's their truck , their load, their authority and their P&L.

Of course they should pay you for it, it's part of the job is it not?

They won't, but I disagree that they shouldn't, darned right they should.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The company I work for pays off the ofometer, every mile no matter what we’re doing. Like today, I’m loading in Calgary for Idaho Falls but I’ll be paid to go home to Missoula for the weekend. I’ll never work at a place that pays computer miles.

4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Not well.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Since we started running our own loads again, we started paying actual miles. Any driver that wants to take the scenic route can then take the short route home, and take all their stuff out of of the truck. Never happened yet. Each ELD has a tracking history on it, so it's pretty easy to catch shenanigans, especially since we pretty much run dedicated routes.

I'm not sure I'd be capable of running a trucking company where both employees and employers are looking for ways to rip each other off. No way to live.

kylefitzy and 06driver Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I read this, then read my reply again and realized I should’ve been more clear. We don’t do weekends in the truck. All of our drivers are home on the weekends, I didn’t mean to sound like I was going out of route trying to sneak one past the office.

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm sorry if I sounded like I was implying anything, that was not my intent. All I wanted to convey is how far outside of the norm of normal business some of the behavior in this industry iis. Of course it is normal that someone goes home for the weekend, and if the business vehicle is the only one available, that's the vehicle they should take. Not paying a driver for driving to a save parking place en-route seems bizarre to someone who is outside the transportation industry.

Long FLD and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    I didn’t think your comment was directed towards me at all, it did make me realize that I wasn’t very clear with my original reply though.

9. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    It boils down to do you think you are fairly compensated for the work you are doing? Hub miles, HHG miles, PC Miler, hourly pay, salary, it doesn't really matter. What your paycheck is coming out to is what matters.

My company pays HHG and I make 52 cpm, and get pretty substantial bonuses weekly on top of that (I average $350 a week in bonuses). Over the years, my hub miles have been 9 - 10% higher than my "dispatched miles" that i am paid for. This percentage also includes quite a few deadhead miles where I headed home that are unpaid (frequently 200+ miles). I do get paid for the deadheads coming off of hometime.

For me, taking a job that paid hub miles
    at 46 cpm would be a paycut, all other things being equal. Take out my bonuses pay, and the job would have to pay me more than 52 cpm to equal what I make.

10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018

Sounds like carrot and stick
    They cheat you up front and then give it back on the backside as long as you jump through the hoops.
    Why not just pay the 52 cpm up front?
    Oh well, as long as your happy I guess.

11. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I drive around 2200 miles per week. 2200 × 0.52 = $1,144 + $350 comes out to $1,494 per week.

2200 ÷ 90% = 2,445 × 0.52 comes out to $1,271 per week.

Clearly my company is cheating me.

12. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    On the zip code to zip code pay scale, what happens when say for instance you have a delivery in Montana where there’s like 3 zip codes? That’s a lot of mileage shorted.

kylefitzy and Odin's Rabid Dog Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.