Pre-2000 Engine, how long till I have to comply?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Guntoter, Nov 25, 2017.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I don't think you have much to worry about. The smoke test is all I have ever seen them perform in the field.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I believe Yours isn’t a glider ....

So technically the pre 2000 rule doesn’t really apply . According to your line of thinking everyone should just pull their junk emissions engines and install what they want .

You’ll probably never get caught... but I’d pay to see the look on a dot cops face when you say no eld in a 2013 with a 96 engine and no double zeros in the middle of the vin#

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Run the old engines. If your carrier wants newer trucks, and not nice old ones tell them your searching else where to contract with.
    I've told the last carrier I was with , and my current one. Eld or me. Take your pick.

5. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa

It can be done legally. It’s called a R-title R for reconstructed. Most folks don’t go through the bother of changing the title but it can be legal.

6nz389 and Cat sdp Thank this.
  6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The guidance from the FMCSA uses gliders as an example of trucks that have a pre 2000 engine installed. But it doesn't state that it has to be a glider. As long as it can be documented the the engine was manufactured pre 2000 you should be exempt.

7. Benjamin D

Benjamin D Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2017
    I have researched this issue a lot, and going the 1999 route won't work for me as I haul into California. Besides the current DPF rule, they have strict rules coming into effect in 2020, phasing in fully in 2013, where no engines older than 2010 will be allowed, and all 2010 emissions stuff needs to be installed.

8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Have friends leased to Cardinal, they won't lease anymore trucks older than 2000 yr model now.
    Sandra has a 2001 KW W900 with a transplant N14, engine was built in 98 so she thought she was safe... nope!! It's a recon engine from Cummins and they gave it a new birth date. Plus truck is older than 2000.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Mechanical engines don't have a j1939 plug.

MACK E-6 and wore out Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ...And that’s where people go wrong. They draw attention to themselves, like the “coal rollers”.

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    All companies will do is mandate that any truck that gets leased on be capable of using an ELD in it. If the owner refuses or there is no way to hook it up, then no lease. Pretty simple. That is all many companies are worried about.... compliance. And they are not going to waste time playing in the sandbox of what trucks are exempt or not per the regulations. Can't speak to any pre-2000 Cummins or Cat, but for certain, any DDEC IV engine can be hooked up to ELD and it will work. DDEC IV came out in '97.

If I was running any safety department of a carrier, it would just be a simple thing.... ELD is required at this company and the truck will be hooked up to one. Now, if the truck in question cannot work with an ELD, it doesn't get a contract.

Who knows how long this exemption thing will play out. The whole thing might get put on hold anyway. But I am more than confident there is technology out there that could be used to track any vehicle made to some extent to make ELD's a reality for everyone. Just a matter of time before the so-called "exempt" vehicle and engines will no longer be exempt. All it really takes is hard installation of some form of GPS unit on the vehicle to track any movement. That can be done to any vehicle with a working electrical system. 6V, 12V, 24V, positive or negative ground. The only thing that will stop that is if the ELD mandate gets put on hold or rescinded. Odds are not good of that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.