Pre-Hire Insurance checks???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    There was a thread here a few weeks ago that kind of took a slight detour from its original topic & quickly talked about whether companies that hire drivers actually check insurance records for accidents etc.

I know that companies check DAC, Hire Right & MVR records etc. But, the question was never really answered in the other thread I don't think, whether companies can or even have the:
    Data base or,
    legal right etc, etc
    to check insurance records nation wide & across all insurance companies to check insurance claims on individual drivers.

We know that DMV, Hire Right & DAC can & do contain any REPORTED accident/claim. However, we know that some accidents are not reported. Lets say that a driver has an accident in a private parking lot & exchanges info but doesn't call law enforcement for a report. They simply exchange info & leave it to the insurance companies to work out.
    (Just FYI in some states, even if law enforcement does show up for an accident on private property, they only fill out an incident report & its never turned into the state... so, there is NO report of this from DMV, DAC or Hire Right.)

Here is the question that is in my mind.
    Do companies hiring a driver run a nationwide request for insurance claims.... OR is there even a way to make this request to all insurance companies, just by submitting the drivers name /info etc????

gentleroger and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Let your insurance company earn their money for once, submit the driver info and ask 'do you approve?'. I think that's all you can do other than asking the candidate for last 3 year driving record.

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I am glad you brought this up. I saw that thread and was curious if that was even accurate.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  5. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    CLUE report. Google it.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  6. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    That doesn't mention commercial vehicles.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  7. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    It doesn’t matter. A CLUE report covers “any” insurance policy holder who files a claim even if the claim is denied. It is a consumer report and covered under the Fair Credit Reporting Act so one does have to sign a release for their info to be released.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  8. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Well I found it. They have a Commercial CLUE Report. Also says that not all insurers are in this database. It doesn't say who is or isn't.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My position is that Trainees undergoing truck School training should have a hour or two of classroom time on these methods used by Trucking Companies to screen applicants that they hire.

Some of them wonder why no one hires them. Or there is a silence after a application is filled out and turned in.

My own experience with ATS hiring indicates this kind of secretive practices go really deep as well.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  10. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I am not arguing or discounting your statement because I dont know. But it does repeat over & over, "personal" property, claims, etc. It also says "your" insurance. It indicates to me that if its a business, it gives their report..... indicating a report on the company profile/claims/insurance history. It doesnt indicate to me that it provides information on a driver for that company. Again, I dont know, I am just bringing up a point/question.

As @Socal Xpress posted, I am going to see if I can find anything on the Commercial Clue Report site.

I appreciate everyone's input so far... thanks.

Just because its free, I ordered my report.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    As I am understanding the Commercial Clue site, it is primarily used for company to company type situations... underwriting, company liabilities, buying other companies, that sort of thing. Its truly more of a commercial report. It clearly states that it can not be used for employment purposes.

x1Heavy and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.