Pre-Trip Inspection & Drive Shaft

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by deathB4decaf, Jul 15, 2020.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Here is a picture of my rear driveshaft. It's very obvious if it wasn't there.

Attached Files:

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    So many questions but the big one is where did the original towing company put the driveshaft? I’m guilty of half hearted pretrip and can understand failing to look at everything. Bad weather usually causes a hurry up (rain) but if the removed driveshaft was placed in an obvious place this could have been avoided. That being said the last driver should own the mistake.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I am so confused.............

How would it break down if it didn't have an interaxle driveshaft? It just doesn't happen.

snowwy and InTooDeep Thank this.
  5. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    No idea. They didn't find the drive shaft anywhere. Unfortunately, this seems to be an ongoing issue with the Internationals we are purchasing from this one particular company.

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  6. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    This was actually the first incident of it happening for us and it happened one other time. I'm not a driver and all of mine are out of state at the moment. They did explain it to me when I initially had to type out the information so if I find that I will post it here.

7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I believe a visit to the company you buy from is in order. Sounds like they may have a pile of drive shafts out back of their shop.

8. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    As of yesterday, 4 drivers showed up to pick up 4 trucks, NONE of which have the rear driveshaft in them. Turns out there is a recall on them and they are being instructed to pull ALL of them out. Catch, if you drive them without the rear driveshaft even sitting in the vehicle and it causes an issue, it voids the warranty. Is it Friday yet????

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Are you talking about the short drive shaft between the axles or are you talking about the axle shafts?

And how are they driving the trucks without locking in the power divider? What is the issue with the break down? In theory with no load and the power divider in there should be no issues driving the truck. I lost the short shaft on my FLD in NV with a load of cattle on. I ran with the divider locked in and made it the rest of the way to CO, unloaded and then got it fixed.

10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    How new are these trucks? I hadn't heard of this before your post.

11. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    2018 is what they were just picking up. It's insane. Never once have I had this issue and all of a sudden it seems to be a majority of what I'm dealing with.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  12. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    My only experience with something similar is in FL with the power divider going out.

We had a group of light spec tandems geared direct that weren't up to hauling off pavement heavily loaded.

Got good fuel mileage, though. These would have been 2001s.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.