Pre-Trip

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Jan 4, 2007.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    §392.7 Equipment, inspection and use.
    No commercial motor vehicle shall be driven unless the driver is satisfied that the following parts and accessories are in good working order, nor shall any driver fail to use or make use of such parts and accessories when and as needed:
    Service brakes, including trailer brake connections.

•Parking (hand) brake.
    •Steering mechanism.
    •Lighting devices and reflectors.
    •Tires.
    •Horn.
    •Windshield wiper or wipers.
    •Rear-vision mirror or mirrors.
    •Coupling devices.

§396.13 Driver inspection.
    Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall: ​
    (a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;
    (b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and
    (c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.

This is copy and pasted from the DOT Regulations book. Review Post-trip tread and tell me what you think?
    If you notice many company's have you fill in the inspection form for your pre-trip, the post-trip is the one that is required to be filled out in writting, not the pre-trip.
    Any questions please ask and I will try to answer:smt039

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    What is the point for doing the EXACT same inspection 10 hrs apart??? I'm the only one driving my truck, so if the post trip is OK its a pretty safe bet that its still OK 10 hrs later when I start my day. STUPID DOT.
    Another question for the idiots that run the gooberment would be whose bright idea is it to make a safety function required at the end of the day when its more than likely ...........
    1. dark
    2. the driver is tired and probably not as alert as he will be in the morning

Once again stupid DOT.

I can't say that I've ever seen any one out doing a post trip after they back in and park for the night at a truck stop.

As I'm sure is the case with many drivers my truck is in a constant state of pre trip. Every time I stop during the day I do a walk around and check. In the morning I mark that I did one because I know the condition of my rig.

4. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    The post trip: I am thinking its so that if something went wrong while you were running down the road..ie burnt out bulb etc the driver would have time to get it fixed instead of "finding it" the next day when they are ready to roll and being on a schedule like they are some might be tempted to say oh I'll get it fixed after I make this delivery, cant miss my appointment time etc, ...... as for doing a pre-trip in the morning I have often wondered if that wasnt just an additonal safety net, and of course there have been posts here about drivers finding "things" that had been done to their truck while they were parked for the night and in the bunk which they were totaly unaware of and could have led to major problems if they hadnt been caught before they moved their rig. As when operating any type of machinery, it is of course better to be safe than sorry in the long run.

5. keelady

keelady Light Load Member

I understand what you're saying Brickman, and I agree that an 'in depth' pre-trip probably isn't necessary much of the time. But, as Luv said, it is not unheard of for people to mess with trucks for whatever reason as the driver is sleeping in the bunk. Some guy who is angry at your company for whatever reason, might think that the perfect revenge is disconnecting your 5th Wheel locking pin so when you pull out your trailer falls on the ground, messing with air hoses or connections, etc. A quick walk around to check that everything is still connected properly and in working order would take only a few minutes and you could avoid a costly situation. Maybe it's the Capricorn in me -- but, I would rather spend a few minutes now and be safe, than save that few minutes and be sorry. Just my .02

6. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    I always do a few walkarounds throughout the day/night. I do a more complete inspection after my break is complete, and I'm readying to leave.

To satisfy DOT I will actually log 0.25 on the bottom line, sometime during the 14, usually while fueling, and flag it as "CMV Inspection".

My inspection document is the Keller inspection form attached to the bottom of their loose leaf log sheets. It doesn't specify pre trip, post trip, or the time (except date) completed. The only times the inspection documents get any attention is if there is a problem that needs repairs. Then a work order gets written. That's what counts.

I'll also flag a "CMV Inspection" if I begin using a different trailer. It takes less than 7.50 minutes to inspect a trailer, so I use no bottom line time, just a flag to note it.

A pre trip inspection is critical to insure the CMV you are about to operate is safe.

A post trip becomes critical if you are relinquishing control of the CMV. If there are problems, they need to be documented and fixed prior to the next use. If there are no problems, this too needs to be documented as a CYA practice.

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Keelady said it! Anoter thing to add is not everyone stops at night! Unfortunately all drivers drive different times of the day, so some drivers pre-trip is done at night (so again how can a driver do a good pre-trip at night?, stop in well lighted areas?) Also when driver's get a load many are ready to get on the road after waiting 10 or more hours so they might forget to do it (BAD BAD) Plus again it might save you downtime if you do it thoroughly at the end of the day. I do agree with many you should be checking your truck everytime you stop. Haz-mat you have to check it every time you stop. Ok to early for pre-trip. l.o.l. have a great day.
    Also I saw someone (to early to remember name) state they did it within their 14 hours, you must do the pre right before you drive and the post when you stop driving for the day. The in betweens are GREAT! and any new equipment should be inspected.:toothy3:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.