Pre work screen- physical fitness

Discussion in 'Crete' started by 1nonly, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    As an FYI to prospective Crete drivers.

This was the most challenging physical fitness screening I've ever tried at a trucking company. I didn't complete it, but here's how far I got:

Lift 25lbs to waist height 5 times
    Lift 50lbs to waist height 5 times
    Lift 75lbs to waist height 3 times
    Lift 30lbs overhead 5 times
    Lift 50lbs overhead 3 times

This is where I flunked out- I could only do it twice. But a general idea of the rest, pushing and pulling 100lbs of pressure, carrying 75lbs around the room 3 times. I'm sure there was more.

I post this mainly for the other lady drivers, since it's us who have problems with this stuff usually. I didn't know the amounts I'd have to lift until I was there. Something to consider for any ladies considering Crete.

I'm actually quite proud of myself. When I saw what we'd have to do, I didn't expect to get as far as I did. Course, I've got a sore back now....:biggrin_2559:

jinx0924, Jayhawker and ladytrucker54 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. webstera17

webstera17 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Is this the same test that the men was taking also?

4. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I'd love to see the majority of drivers perform this test including current Crete drivers'cause it wouldn't happen.

Old MP Thanks this.
  5. Son of a Trucker

Son of a Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Truckstop
    yes the test is the same for men and women. When i did mine it was weights in a basket that you moved around the room and put them on shelves.

6. Jayhawker

Jayhawker Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I took this test yesterday... I thought the toughest part was carrying 75lbs in front of you for about 150 feet (across the room and back three times) as it did stress the back, (which was probably the point) However, they do simulate some of the non-driving jobs we have to do on occasion, such as hand loading cases up at shoulder height, etc.

I would agree these tests would be very difficult for a smaller person or someone who wasn't in shape. From what I have seen, there are many drivers out there, including Crete Drivers, who would have a very difficult time with it because they are so overweight and out of shape....

But you only have to do it once... as an entrance exam. I have a son who is a doctor in the Navy. 7 years ago, in Medical School, he had to run 2 miles in a set time to join the Navy, even though Doctors usually don't have to run... He had to work at it, but he made it. He wouldn't have a chance in hell now... nor would a lot of the other officers.

(Just one more reason Marines are different. I think Marine officers make sure they can make the two mile run on muster out day)

7. cpttuttle

cpttuttle Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    altoona,pa
    you'd better get used to it.all the bigger companies are doing it now.

8. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Im fat and way out of shape and I passed it. It's more of a strength test rather than fitness test in my opinion. As the OP stated it's probably tougher for someone of smaller stature who are 10 times more fit then us husky guys.

9. ladytrucker54

ladytrucker54 Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Hot Springs, AR
    I talked to 2 different recruiters today asking about this very subject and they couldn't answer my questions. There is no way I could pass this physical. It is really hard to believe the recruiters aren't aware of these requirements because they must waste an awful lot of money bringing people in that can't do this.

The company I just left didn't have anything like this and I managed to drive just fine without having to lift 75 lbs. I've got a perfect driving record and lots of experience but can't lift 75 lbs. Their loss.

10. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    That's why I made the post- I asked the recruiters as well, and they couldn't answer my questions about it. Better for potential drivers to come prepared knowing what is expected of them than to have them come to orientation only to be sent home.

11. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Mine was different than that. I would say less intensive. I didn't have to carry weight around the room, and I only had to lift 75lbs twice. FWIW my orientation was at the Ottawa, IL terminal and they outsourced the physical pre-work screen to a local physical therapy office; however they went by what the sheet provided by the company said, so perhaps they've toned it down a bit?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.