Prebuy checklist?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Well if the unit has a self-contained pony motor then hydraulics won't be an issue. If you do go the route of adding a wet kit to your truck then get used to reconnecting hydraulic hoses.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    It can be.
    The company I was leased to had a flat fleet, a RGN fleet and about 7 or 8 who floated between. Those were the guys that ran no ramps to save weight on the flat side and the trailer shop had to approve the frame mods before your first RGN load.
    Bent pins and bent cross-members was the reason.
    I never run one but worked beside a few.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    The company I was with does a lot of John Deere. I documented correctly with pictures of glass laying on the deck. It proved it didn’t happen when I was driving and so no claim was paid by my company. Also, I was lucky to be less than 50 miles from delivery.

The real big claims happen after the fact if you don’t protect the cab and you add 500-1000 miles of road grim, snow, and or rain damage to the electronics in the cab.

cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Yea it has a pony motor. Just wanted to ask about that style of trailer as far as pros and cons. Just from looking at it, I would think theres no way it can be as structurally sound at a regular GN.

6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Scissor-necked trailers are a staple of the oilfields of Western Canada, although they are mostly single-drop with tail rollers so that they are 53ft as a single-drop and 56ft as a sloping flat for winch work. I have seen them rated to 55 ton and more. I have seen a 150k draw-works on a scissor-neck with a 16 wheel jeep and a 16 wheel trailer with a 8 wheel booster being moved on a back road in Alberta.
    2 and 3 axle double drop scissor-necks have been around here for 30 to 40 years, and some are that old.

RollinThunderVet Thanks this.
  7. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    That's pretty impressive for that design, and all that stress on the pivot points. .

8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    How heavy a load are you really lifting with a 3 axle truck? Very few trucks in our fleet have ramps and we have very few problems but we are generally light. A driver can make it a lot easier on his equipment but running all the way to the rear and picking the trailer up first.
    1D146FA2-35B9-4A25-908C-AB807A6F2C12.jpeg

RollinThunderVet, cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Well, we hauled 70k pieces on our 6 axle frequently, and almost everything else was 50k. Not much room to go back on our deck.

That said, everything that we haul walks on. If most loads were set on with a crane the occasional drive on load might not be bad. I just don't like creating problems where they can be avoided. This is also why we run a wet kit. I will never again get caught with a pony motor that won't start.

This is all from my perspective for our needs. Certainly doesn't make it right for everyone.

RollinThunderVet, kylefitzy and cke Thank this.
  10. RollinThunderVet

Mar 19, 2014
    So I'm looking at my spec sheet for the TK I'm looking at building.
    I specd it out as a 53ft tandem, and added a flip axle. So I'm sitting here and a thought just crept in my head. KPLA would be well over 41. So .... that's not gonna work. Lol I swear sometimes I'm an idiot.

11. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    you would need to permit that trailer empty in certain states - not that big a deal really.
    I will assume you are considering things like axle spacing, flip neck size, modular deck, open or closed deck and wheel area, drop bolsters and such?

what rating are you looking at?

Trailer rated for 2 plus a flip for a closed 3?
    It 2 plus a flip with a spreader bar for 3 or 2+1 configuration?

or an intermediate flip plus a 4th axle or intermediate flip plus spreader plus 4 axle to go 2/3/4 or 3+1?

since you going through the process of having a trailer built - you should consider Options

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.