Prehire letters

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Grandiego, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Grandiego

Grandiego Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2007
    I finish training in 2 1/2 weeks. I've got 7 prehire letters (Werner, Swift, Schneider, Arrow, Covenant, USA Truck, and RE West). Currently I rate them best to worst:

1 RE West
    2 Schneider
    3 Arrow
    4 USA Truck
    5 Covenant
    6 Werner
    7 Swift

I'm looking for someone wiser to tell me if I am right or wrong. Should I look into Marten, Maverick or Roehl?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    There's a few companies on that list that I have no idea about, but most of them look like the ones nobody wants to work for. I've seen a lot of good things about Maverick and Roehl and I could probably put you in touch with my recruiter with Roehl. The companies that are out trying to get anyone they can sending prehire letters like that are probably the ones I'd stay away from. I'm just a newbie, not even in school yet, but there's a lot I've learned from this board. If a company's trying that hard to get you when you're in school, I'd disregard them or really look for what people have to say about them before agreeing to anything. If you do go with Roehl, you'll still have to go through their Evo 1, 2, and 3 training, which would probably make you feel much more comfortable about your driving. I particularly like this aspect.

4. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    I have heard bad stuff about Rhoel big time. Schnieder I at least trust, but I have big concerns about there policies when it comes to driver comfort on the road. The rest on your number list are about the worst of the worst. I have heard good and bad about Arrow. I think its what you make of it there.

I would recommend looking into Marten. They have a high reputation and drive up to date equipment.

Also check out the good rep companies on this forum. Names that come up all the time are Crete/Schaeffer and Knight. Look into them too.

WSE (willis shaw express) was great to me as a first place to start. They are honest and helpful. They will reimburse your school too. They drive decent equipment that is well maintained and they will not B.S. you. They will also put you with a REAL trainer. Mine showed me the right way. We are still friends to this day also.

I will tell you this. These companies are around to make money! No where is perfect. They are not in business to give you a vacation. Every company has its PROs and CONs. Just be careful to research it out completely before jumping for a "sure" thing. Your choice can be very important to you. Pick a company that fits you, not them. People on this forum seem to give you info from the horses mouth. Just remember, that most only post online when they are upset so you don't have the good to weigh against it sometimes. Just weigh out the good from the bad. All in all, I would worry about anyone looking at any of those companies on your list. Most are well known for taking advantage of there drivers. All but Schneider who has policies that worry me on a personal level and Martin which actually I rarely have heard anything negative. Just beware of the rest. For Schneider, do a search on this forum for "the no BS look at Schneider". Good background to read first. Just do your research and don't take it lightly and just jump without looking. The choice you make will either be the best thing you ever to or the worst.

5. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007
    I called Maverick and Roehl... found out that north of I94 is out of their hiring area (I'm north of Grand Rapids). I'm assuming Jonesville is South if you're talking to a recruiter. Thanks anyway. Marten which at this point would be my #1 choice has a 4 mo wait for student drivers, and requires that your CDL school be minimum 160 hrs.

6. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007
    My CDL school is not approved by Marten or Shaffer. Marten currently has a 4 mo wait for inexperienced drivers so it wouldn't be an option either way. I still have to check out WSE. I'm convinced not to go with Swift, Werner or Covenant. Don't know about USA truck (questionable). I don't have any info on RE West which is good, I think, since if they were bad there'd be some complaints?. Arrow maybe. Schneider maybe. Guess I'm just like everybody else out there---I'm willing to pay my dues and work hard for a fair and ethical company.

7. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Sounds like you are really doing your homework. Thats what I was worried about after seeing your list. I would put USA up on my worst companies. (IMOP) Right up there with Werner, Swift, and PAM. What school did you go to? If these companies don't approve it, its probably a known quality of training issue. I am not saying this is the case, but just in case, I would really concentrate on looking into companies with a good post school training program. They stand out on here. Schneider is one. I really hope you look at WSE. I came off the road with them about 2 years ago. I never had a problem with them, and now because there my benchmark, its hard to not consider them myself, yet again. Companies I had on my list (and the reasons they are losing ground to WSE):

1. Crete/Shaffer- Anal about log books big time. GPS micromanaged. Can't install an inverter (for tv, xbox, microwave, crockpot, computer). Pros- Great equipment and pay package.

2. Martan- Load lock policy worries me. Can't Install an inverter. Pros- Great equipment and pay package.

3. Knight- Something tells me that they preach safety and HOS, but then turn there backs and expect it by riding you. Can't Install inverters. Pros- EXCELLENT equipment and great miles.

4. Schneider- Absolutely NO idling policy means very uncomfortable. No inverters allowed. Really slow trucks capped at 63. Pros- Good rep and company big enough that they don't need to screw you to make a dime.

5. Smith- Uniforms I could care less for. Not sure about inverters. I think they are east coast only. I like to go from sea to sea. Not sure about inverters. PROs- Great equipment. Good miles it seems.

So, like I said. A lot of good companies, but none really stack up as a good fit for me. It may not be important to all, but for me, I like to drive comfortably under HOS but not so anal that my log is within 5-10 miles by GPS. I like to go long haul from shore to shore and out for 4 weeks or so. And because of that, I need my comforts of home with a decent inverter. I may need to idle during the winter or hot summer nights. They understand that comfert means safe. So, I keep coming back to thinking about WSE. I may not get the same miles and equipment that Knight and Smith have, but I know I will enjoy my job.

8. concerned

concerned Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Lafayette GA
    hey, have you heard anything about: McElroy, Maverick, Coastal Transport?

9. Grandiego

Nov 2, 2007
    I appreciate your advice. Checked out WSE...they do hire in my area but require 160 hr school which seems to be a common theme among the premier trucking companies. Talked to a Werner recruiter today too...they have qualcom, EZ pass, and Free pass which I believe makes scales, tolls and driver logging easier (correct me if I'm wrong). Average truck age is 1 year. Sounds great. I just can't get past the abundance of bad reviews on this site. Also, Werner allows idling but it affects the fuel bonus. (I don't know what that means.)

10. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    I imagine they only give you the fuel bonus if you don't idle over a certain percent of the time. I know Roehl has a chart posted on the idle time for each month of the year.

11. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Well, here is my advice, but you might not like it. 160 hr school seems to be a common theme you say? Thats what one might call a standard. If your school did not fit that "standard", I might actually consider that as a message. You may want to consider going to one of these accepted schools. Just this time pre-sign with a company and have no cost to you. Its no money out of your pocket, and it opens much better doors. Safer to your pocket book, safer to your life, safer to other drivers life. Drive with confidence. Get hired just about anywhere.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.