Pressure in antifreeze overflow tank

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Nuworld, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Nuworld

Nuworld Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I have Detroit 60 series 14L just overhauled 20k miles ago. Was told that was my best option at time because I was getting pressure in my reservoir tank. I'm still having the same issue, any suggestions what the problem could be.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Does your air compressor have coolant circulate thru the compressor head?
    This could be the source of pressure in the cooling system.

4. Nuworld

Nuworld Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Not exactly sure what your asking, I know when I had overhauled the motor they had to cut the head to even it out.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Maybe you just need a new rad cap? How much pressure? Need to do a combustion test.

6. Nuworld

Nuworld Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I changed cap and pressure got a lil better, but still doing the same thing.

7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Dropped cylinder liner. Did they measure liner protrusion when head was off? Common. Most don't invest in a good sled gauge to measure.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  8. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    cap off coolant circuit through the air compressor when fault is active. if bubbles stop problem is in compressor if not then its in the engine.

typically if the cooling system takes a while to pressurize and does it more so under load it will be the engine causing it.

dropped liner is common on those engines. it allows combustion gas to bypass the fire ring and leak into the cooling system through the head gasket. if they did not cut counter bores at over haul time then this is likely the issue. you will need to cut counterbores, install shims and reset liner protrusion

Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    My truck did that recently, it even bulged the plastic reservoir.
    Then I found a gallon of diesel sitting on top of the antifreeze and found the problem. O-rings shot around injector cups.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  10. 99westernstar

99westernstar Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I had an n14 that did that one time.After sitting overnight it would sometimes hydraulic lock and would not turn over.Thoufgt it was a cylinder liner,come to find out no liner problems,put engine back together with new head gaskets and did a pressure test on water tank with oil pan off.the leak was coming fromair compressor.It had a crack in coolant head that would allow air pressure into coolant system while running (causing expansion tank overflow,and high pressure) also when shut down overnight after air pressure bled down excessive coolant pressure would reverse from crack and push coolant up air compressor intake into manifold causing water in engine .This caused hyd.lock

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  11. Hemingway22

Hemingway22 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2022
    This is true...mine ended up being a bad headbgasket

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.