Previous accidents and becoming a truck driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by daniphoenix, Sep 22, 2019.

1. daniphoenix

daniphoenix Light Load Member

I’m wanting to start with swift, prime, Schneider or another training company.

Last year, during a breakup, moving to an new area, a medication change, and changing to a new car, I got into three accidents. Two were minor fender benders where the police were not called. One that totaled my car. No DUIs or DWIs, but I was at fault.

It’s been a year from all three in January.

Can I still become a driver? Before this, I had gone my entire driving life (13 years) with NO accidents. I’m typically a very defensive driver.

How long should I wait before applying? Will this prevent anyone from giving me a chance? I’ve heard different things: wait three years, and that because it happened before I had my CDL it wouldn’t matter.

Does anyone know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    CDL or not. It DOES matter.

Look at the websights you're considering. They usually tell you what they want for driving record.

tscottme and daniphoenix Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What was the at fault accident written up as??? it sometimes makes a difference.
    There are places a guy can work, it could limit your options some, but I would not list the reasons as driving a different car, a bad breakup or going to a new city as any reason if ask for an explanation why you wrecked, if I was you.

tscottme, daniphoenix and snowwy Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If the 2 accidents where the law was not called were turned in as an insurance claim, they could very well cause you some problems.

tscottme and daniphoenix Thank this.
  6. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    If my thinking is right, they could possibly cause him problems buying his own insurance, but shouldn't show up to a prospective employer

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    When his prospective employers run him with their insurance companies it could show up.

x1Heavy, tscottme and daniphoenix Thank this.
  8. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Go ahead and apply. You have nothing to lose. Seen drivers with worse get hired. Just don't hide anything.

Woodys and daniphoenix Thank this.
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I think it is somewhat rare that an insurance company shares info on claims with others, not even sure how they could do it reliabily. I know, I have in the past switched companies, because I had a claim and my insurance company wanted to go up on my insurance, and got lower prices.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  10. daniphoenix

daniphoenix Light Load Member

Man..: this was shared with every dang insurance company I applied for...

I figured it’d be the same for a CDL job

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yep, don't make excuses and don't mention any personal or medical problems. Trucking companies have a lot to deal with and don't want to hire a driver that may have baggage.
    Try to attend that private school that let's you finance the tuition; Southwest Truck Driving School in Phoenix. This way you can probably be hired by a 2nd chance company.

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.