Prime has the SLOWEST sorry trucks on the road today, it's not even close

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by freightwipper, Aug 19, 2014.

1. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO

The same principle applies, the appointments are normally firm, so there is no "extra load" to be gained by delivering quickly in most cases. So the company drivers drive slow to increase their fuel bonus and pay. I believe Prime just raised the fuel bonus given to company drivers, so I couldn't tell you exactly what it is, but I believe it used to cap out at 6CPM.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    bonus:

.01cpm to .04cpm depending on MPG (must maintain at least 7.0mpg).

http://www.truckingtruth.com/free_truck_driving_schools/prime/prime3.html

Say you get a .02CPM bonus.. now lets do the math

One week 2500 miles x .02 = $50

averaging 52 MPH vs 62 MPH
    Driving time.. 48 hours vs 40 hours

so that extra 8 hours you drove that week for that "bonus" earned you a whooping $6.25 per hour.... which is less than minimum wage.

That's as a company driver.

7MPG vs 8MPG over 2500 miles and $4 a gallon comes to about an extra $180 dollars saved. Prime is making a lot more money off you going slow.
    If you buy your own fuel it's a different story.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  4. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    "lightweight Cascadia" what if you're grossing 78000 pounds and driving up hills and mountains all day?
    I have a Cascadia and spent all day with hills on I81 in Virginia at 70000 pounds in a 62MPH truck and averaged 6.3MPG

5. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Sounds like your Cascadia might have a problem. The company I just left I had a brand new 2013 Cascadia (got it with less than 100 miles on it), and no matter how I drove or how heavy I was, the thing wouldn't go below 7MPG, and I did a lot of I-81 from NY to VA, and I pretty much kept it maxed out at 63MPH.

6. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    I'll tell you what's annoying is when you got a slow truck trying to pass a slow truck. And they take 15 min just to pass, that makes me ######

iono12345 Thanks this.
  7. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    And what's this bull#### about all trucks being set to 65? Let's see some links to back this up..Does that mean only megas because not many trucks even go over 63 at these huge trucking company's. What about lease operators or OO, 65 is too slow even for a company driver, but they expect owner ops to stay at 65? FTHAT LOL

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    What's even more annoying is when you've been behind someone for 10-15 minutes going 60, then you get over to the left lane to finally try and pass them but suddenly they step on it so you can't pass.. so you get behind them again and they slow down again.
    How many times that's happened to me I lost count.. but if there ever was a reason to have road rage, I tell ya.

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Used to be,

other drivers complained because prime trucks were some of the fastest-sorry-trucks.

AND,

Swift trucks were the slowest............

how times change.......

bigkev1115 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt used to have the same specs on their trucks and all 3 companies were governed to 55 mph. Hmmm, 3 of the most successful companies in America!

11. slowpoke89

slowpoke89 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Slowpoke land
    Pfffft...... Ive seen prime's idea of "fuel economy" , they dictate what rpm you can run at, then threaten to turn your truck down if the bozos in Pittston see on the computer that you aren't driving to what they think is driving a truck...of course all of the info they give the drivers is mostly for the fleece purchase condo's, company drivers who run the coffin sleepers are basically kept in the dark, mainly for the purpose of "pressuring" to lease purchase without making it obvious(the prime cheerleaders can shut up as far as I'm concerned, the are just office people watching message boards pretending to be drivers). The coffin sleeper can't even get above 5.8 mpg even empty, and the "lightweight" junk isn't even light weight.(especially since they are so patched up from constantly being wrecked by the idiots put out by the prime training dept.). I drive a Volvo that has gotten 8.0 or better with a 42,000 dry load at 65mph, and WALKS up hills even with that kind of load. While the prime drivers sit goggle-eyed and staring straight ahead like micro-managed zombies. So much for prime's mileage procedures.....

TruckDuo, Joetro, browndawg and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.