Prime has the SLOWEST sorry trucks on the road today, it's not even close

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by freightwipper, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shaggy0824

Shaggy0824 Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2014
    im pretty sure Don Lacey retired

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    when you spend all that extra time driving slow to save money on fuel/fuel bonuses etc... how are you earning money when your 70 hour clock runs out and you're sitting?
    3000 miles at 55mph vs 65mph is 9 hours driving time, that's an entire work day lost by going slow.
    As a company driver it's not worth it, does your "fuel bonus" pay $200 a week? I doubt it, that's about what you're losing out on 9 hours of driving time.

Say if you're O/O get 7 MPG at 65 MPH and 8 MPG at 55MPH, over 3000 miles at $4 that comes to about $200 difference in fuel but again 9 hours lost on your clock.

Unless you're getting 10 MPG I don't see how it's worth going slow unless you have an unproductive load with tons of time on it

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    You should know you don't gain back all the energy spent going up the hill when you go down.
    Sure pushing the clutch in and going 120MPH down the hill sounds cool but in reality it doesn't happen unless you want to kill yourself

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    my o bucket of bolts is just as new as your old bucket o bolts.

3 days, @ 50 mph. 3000 miles. ALLRIGHTY THEN.

6. 5speed

5speed Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2012
    It doesn't matter how slow they go cause they always have students and drivers lined up to do it. Its about what you can handle. Some people like Prime and the way its run.

7. T_TRUCKER.

T_TRUCKER. Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A city near you.
    Well it doesn't bother me at all, prime can drive 25mph for all I care, it ain't messin the money I'm making up. Just stay in the slow lane and enjoy the snails passing you all

sevenmph Thanks this.
  8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Ever hear of recap hours?

You make a lot more working your costs than you do enriching the oil companies to get that extra load. Not being paid cents-per-mile, but on percentage pays off big time.

9. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    It was very rare that I was running up against my 70 at Prime. I remember one week I spent in the NE running mainly loads in the 2-300 mile range. At the end of the week I had 1,995 paid miles, and my net for the week after taking out tolls, was almost $3,000.

10. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    All I know is this. There are many companies with fleece deals. I see their trucks going all different speeds. But 99% of the Prime trucks I see are going 60mph or below.
    Personally, I think it's a result of brain washing!

So part of the reason you go that slow is appointment time for the run? Isn't that also controlled by Prime? Why give you a load that would require you to run 65? Dont you think the company has this down to a science?
    Be safe out there.

11. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I always hear $70K net. What exactly is 70K net? So what? How many dollars did you actually take home after taxes and health-life and retirement. I took home 110,000, after the truck expenses, paid 36 % to the IRS, $6000 for insurance and 12K retirement. That left me with an actual income of 54K of actual income and I didn't write any off for perdiem until I reached that amount. So almost 10K was food etc on the road. In actuality I made 44 Thousand for a year and I made $100,000 a year as a Engineering Flight Test Mechanic. McDonnell Douglas sold out and I didn't want to go to Seattle and work for Boeing so I retired early. You have to own 3 trucks to make decent money, run teams and trade trucks every 430,000 miles. That way(my bookie says) you don't owe the Irs, Trucks are all under warranty and you have nice equipment to run. You can google the 65 MPH rules which go into effect Jan 1 2015. Lots of proof. Find it yourself.

hal380 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.